Sport Trac NEWB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switch to synthetic immediately or gradually?

• Switch now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switch after 1 round of synthetic blend HM

• Switch after 2 rounds of synthetic blend HM

• 3 rounds

• Total voters

backonTRAC

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just upgraded from an extended cab 4banger I290(rebadged colorado) to a 2002 Sport Trac 2wd auto. We needed a bigger vehicle to haul a trailer and more space for a 6y/o and 14mo old while we didn't want to get a crew cab 8 cylinder for gas mileage reasons, although, so far, the mileage hasn't been great. I bought it with 106k and it seems like it was elderly owned. Very clean, one owner, fresh trade. I paid $4200 after my trade and doc. fees. I hope It was a good purchase. So far I'm really pleased with the vehicle. It has a clean CarFax but little to no maintenance records other than brand new Cooper Adventurer tires. The last oil change appears to have been done last summer/fall... YIKES! Oil change sticker on the window has next change at 108k. I'm not even there yet but, again, it was last year. The dealership said they topped off all fluids though.
My questions are: what are some common quirks that a new owner may need to know?

If I want to start using synthetic oil should I transition using synthetic blend for a couple of changes then switch to full synthetic? Or even high mileage synthetic blend? Castrol HM synthetic any good?

I want to do a full maintenance/tune-up update so as far as the basics, plugs, wires, fuel and air filters, oil change, coils possibly? Does Ford recommend an ATF flush or drain/fill only procedure? How about the rear differential? Is there anything else one might suggest doing to get squared away?

I'm looking to get a hitch and found the Curt model 13407 seems to have good reviews and can get it for about $130. Any pros/cons?
Also looking for a bed extender and found one off a F150 fir $20. Will it fit?

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get guys. I'm really excited about the vehicle and want to get the best performance, power, gas mileage, and longevity out of it as I can!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20180605_142959.jpg
    20180605_142959.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 243
I originaly voted to switch. After seeing your milage. I would switch to a high milage syn-blend. If you dont start seeing seals leaking, stay with it. Not sure about full syn. Only if that is what it has been using.
IMO, High milage syn-blend should be ok. With a premium filter, you should get longevity between oil changes.

I want to do a full maintenance/tune-up update so as far as the basics, plugs, wires, fuel and air filters, oil change, coils possibly? Does Ford recommend an ATF flush or drain/fill only procedure? How about the rear differential? Is there anything else one might suggest doing to get squared away?

Good wires, spark plugs use motorcraft or autolite platinums, work the best in our 4.0L motors.
Coil not needed until it goes bad. Some dont recomend the flush especialy with chemicals. If the previuos owner has been doing flushes. It would be ok, flush with fluid only. Be sure to use motorcraft mercon5. IMO at your milage, if it has never been serviced. I would change the pan fluid and filter. Buy a drain plug. So you can dump the pan several times. That will freshen the fluid somewhat. If you start having trouble with the trans shifting wierd like a 2cnd to 3rd gear flash. There is an updated gasket for the valve body.
If the rear axle has never been serviced. It is time. Make sure if you have the limited slip unit. Be sure to add the 4oz bottle of motorcraft limited slip conditioner.

The Curt hitch is a good one. I have one on both my Sport Tracs.
The F150 bed extender may or may not fit. I THINK it will fit if it came from a SuperCrew or maybe other narrow box F150s. Pretty sure the SuperCrew and Sport Trac share tailgates. I have one F150 extender that does, and one that's both too long and too wide. I bought both not knowing what year/model they are from. The one that doesn't fit looks just like the Sport Trac extender, but much bigger. I was sure this wouldn't fit when I bought it for $10, but I bought it for parts. Everything but the tubes is the same as the correct ST extender. The one that does fit is black, more angular in shape, and the locking pins are a lever type rather than the push/pull style.

I have done much research on oils and I read that if the oil co. puts on drop of full synthetic oil in regular oil they can call it synthetic blend therefor I think the blends are a rip off and I wont use them . I have been using high mileage full synthetic in my trac and I have 91,400 miles and so far the garage floor is free rom any drips . I just changed rear diff. oil and on a 2007 the lower control arms sit right next to the diff. .Forget taking the cover off ,thats why they have a 3/4 in. plug there .When you get that off most of the oil comes out . I had fun getting both fill and drain plugs off beating the wrenches with a 2LB hammer . Not fun at all . If you remove the spare tire there is plenty room to tip the new oil bottle upside down but you need to use a plastic tubing on the end of the bottle . Am really glad that job is finished . I had to use a 3/4 adapter with a 3/4 in. open end wrench because there is no room for a ratchet or a breaker bar finally got the plugs off.