Sport Trac Starter hookup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rypp77

Reaction score
I just got a 2004 Sport Trac xlt for 900 bucks. Thieves stole the cats and the starter was gone. I replaced the cats and the starter has three wires. I figured out where the little wire goes, I have two other large wires. One has a plastic/hard rubber cover over it and the other one is bare. Where does these two wires go?

There are three posts on the solenoid. One should already be attached to the starter itself. The small one I think you're talking about is the wire that carries the signal from your ignition switch. The only other wire to attach comes from your battery.

Can you take a photo of what you're seeing?

Terminal S is where you get your start signal from the ignition key, which I think is what you're calling "the small wire." Terminal B is from the battery and is hot all the time. Terminal M should be prewired to your new starter motor.

Starter wire.gif

Glad I could help. I'm still confused because it sounds like you have an extra wire. All the wires going to the solenoid should have wire lugs attached to them unless the thieves cut the wires. You shouldn't have a bare wire.

Latest posts