Sport track 4x4 towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Vance

Reaction score
I would love to pull my 21' Ranger Bass boat with my 2004 4x4 Sport Trac, especially in the winter to help get out of boat ramps. I'm not sure it is heavy duty enough and big enough to pull it. I have dual breaks on the boat trailer, so I am sure I can stop ok if I give myself plenty of room, but I am worried about the transmission and rearend holding up pulling that heavy of a boat. The truck does not have a towing package on it so I would have to add it. Would the shocks and etc need to be replaced? The ride seems to be really soft which makes for a good ride but not sure how it would be towing my boat. any comments would be appreciated.

it won't have any issues... the limit for your trac is 5250 #'sm and boats are easy, little wind resistance.. There is/was no "tow package" to be had... Theyt all came equipped to go to work...

I routinely pull a camper weighing 3800 lbs, and pulled a boat weighing 5200 lbs(for short distances). Your 21' Ranger is probably not much over 3000 lbs, so you should be fine. Find a truck scale and find out for sure what it weights. Google CAT scales, for a location near you...

The Ford 8.8" rear end has an excellent reputation for ruggedness. Maintain it like the manual says, and it should be trouble-free. IME an automatic transmission is usually the first to have problems, and repairs tend to be costly. Towing will increase wear and tear, but that's to be expected.

Shocks are there to smooth out bumps and help handling. Your springs support the load. You might need upgraded springs or helper springs if the tail drags and the headlights point at the sky while towing. Upgraded shocks can help, but deal with the springs first.

Thanks for all the information. The trailer and boat weighs about 3,900 lbs. I do have a slight vibration in the rear when I start to accelerate in my truck. Is this something in the rearend? Any suggestions as to what it might be? It is more noticable if you start to pull out and turn onto a road from at dead stop. I'm sure I need to get this fixed before I start to tow my boat. Thanks again for your comments.

If you have a limited slip rear end it sounds like the clutchs could be sticking. May need new fluid and additive.

Last edited by a moderator: