Squeaking when going over bumps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Foster

Reaction score
When ever I go over a bump I get an annoying squeak coming from the right front area. I have also noticed that the noise occurs when you stop at a light and the truck rocks back and when you step on the gas to tak off from a light. I just had the shocks done this summer. What could it be.

thanx

Shawn

just spray some wd 40 on ur sway bar bushings. i think they are red on both side. same thing happened to me. so dont worry about ur shocks

Mine just started doing the same thing now that the weather has finally got cold.

WD40 is probably a decent fix; however there are some silicone based "suspension lubricants" available from your local autoparts store that are designed for the job. I need to pick some up myself.

Not only would I spray a bit on the swaybar bushings, but anywhere else there is a poly/rubber bushing on the suspension. Control arm bushings, traction bar bushings, and some vehicles have got bushings under and on top of the coil springs. I do not know if the trac has got all of these cause I haven't looked yet. Saturday I will crawl under and have a look at mine.....

They make this stuff called Ruglyde. When I worked in a gas station, we use to spray it on the rubber bushings under the car, great stuff. Here's a link where you can get it, other stores too.

Yep, I agree that it sounds like your front swaybar bushings need lubing. WD40 works as well as there are some other teflon based spray lubes that work great for those annoying squeaks. LiquidWrench makes and excellent spray lube with teflon that I have used on everything and it works wonders!

...Rich

I usually spray all bushings and joints once or twice a year with white lithium grease. It keeps ther rubber moist and prevents craking and helps with the sqeaks,,,, Dontt over do it

just light coat.. Available at any parts store

I took mine to the dealer a few months ago with a similar problem. When I picked up my truck, I was told that all it needed was to be greased(whatever that ment). I haven't heard it anymore.

When my Ranger did that, it was bad ball joints. When my ST did, they found a loose control arm. :blink: Both were on warranty, free is good.

It is one of the flaws in the ST. I keep a can of wd40 in the truck. Spray it on the bushings when they squeak. The dealership replaced everone of mine upfront and they still sqeak.

Are the stock bushings Polyurethane?

Usually rubber bushings don't squeak. Many poly type bushings will if you let them dry up.