Squeeeweeeweeeweee DriveShaft Carrier Bearing?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Hey folks, My 2009 STA AWD has a "Squeeeweeeweeeweee" noise coming from what appears to be a center carrier bearing on the main drive shaft. It speeds up and slows down with road speed but not engine speed. I shot it with WD-40 to see if it went away to determine whether it was that or the yoke at the TC or the Rearend. Seems to be the carrier bearing. The noise went away when I did that, but probably not for long.

I have about 85K Miles. I did some searching, and it appears that this may be a common thing? The first 60K of my STA was spent in Massachusetts, and you can see the results on the exhaust and the dealer had to replace one whole head on my 4.6 due to rusted exhaust flange bolts (warranty, thankfully).

Jeeze, my 2001 has never had bearing issues and looks new underneath compared to the 2009. The 2009 has had front wheel bearings and a pulley bearing replaced already. Did Ford cheap out on the damn things in later years or what?

I have a 500 Mile round trip ski trip planned this weekend, was wondering if I should worry or get it fixed before I go.

L1,

I replaced my coiling system last week, Its all Straightened now !!!.....

LOL :bwahaha::bwahaha:

Seriously, L1 is a great asset to the site, I agree with what he says !!

Todd Z

Yeah, my troubleshooting wd-40 job has cleared it up, so the dealer probably won't fix it until they can hear it for themselves now...

:banghead:

Yep, the carrier bearing. They replaced the entire drive shaft... Go figure. $800 part plus labor, Cost me a single C-Note. Gotta love the Ford Care warranty.