ST 2002 OD/off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score

I was half way thru a 600 mile trip out of Jacksonville, FL when my engine raced while I was in gear.

I let up on the gas and then got off I-95 to evaluate.

It was dark and a storm was going on (Joaquinn, Florence SC, Saturday PM)

The transmission fluid seemed OK and was the right color and odor.

I had the truck bed full of stuff and was pulling a 5X8 easy on trailer that was also full of stuff.

I was thinking I had overdone it with the weight of this load.

I think I hit flooding in the lane when it happened.

I got off the road for the evening. Me my wife and two dogs.

Next day I rechecked the transmission fluid and in daylight it still looked OK.

Last week the hose to the transmission cooler in front of the radiator began leaking, and I did not realize it immediately. They spotted it when they were rotating the tires, but the leak was minor at that point in time.

The next day I was going to check the level. I drove half an hour and as I approached to open the hood, it was apparent I was dumping fluid big time. I added a quart but it was coming out as fast as I was adding it. I drove another 15 minutes and left it at the shop.

They repaired the hose and topped off the fluid. I drove it for a week and was not 100% sure the transmission had escaped damage.

I thought I felt some surging between second and third, and when I put it is reverse, there was a delay before it engaged which noticeable.

But I had to drive home and so we went with the full load and the bad weather.

My previous experiences with automatic transmissions has been if it slips, that is the end of the road.

But one of my Son-In-Laws said maybe it was because of the heavy load and situation, and perhaps the transmission was not toast.

He suggested I press the OD-off, and try to make it home. I had never used the 'OD off' on this vehicle. On my Trooper, the OD button was on the floor shift so I was aware of it, but really never used it. I had the trooper a long time but it needed the AT rebuilt along the way which cost plenty.

I really didn't know there was an OD-off on the ST, or what it's purpose was.

So I turned off the OD and set cruise control at 2500 rpm and kept it there.

There were no problems almost the entire ride (besides going 52 instead of 65-70) but it was mostly flat and I-95. There was no flash flooding just rain.

I was being really gentle. When we got back to Virginia we experienced some hills, and even with OD off the transmission tried to shift causing the motor to race. I would then tap the brake to turn off the cruise control, allow the engine to slow to about 2K then press the gas until it reached 2500 again when I was past the incline and turn CC back on.

So I guess the next thing will be go get the codes off the computer and see what I'm up against.

Any ideas of what's wrong with the transmission or comments?

Thanks

I think your transmission is toast. You're not supposed to tow with it in OD and the leak and low level probably didn't help, but on a '02 your tranny was probably near the end of its lifespan anyway especially if you never flushed it every 30,000 miles like the manual says. Not bashing you, most people don't do it. Trannys are a weak spot. It is what it is.

I had it a few years now, and although I have had it serviced, I am sure not as per the schedule. And I've pulled lots of stuff since I bought it. We'll see what codes come out.

The truth hurts!

Latest posts