ST Bed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Smith

Reaction score
What is behind the composite plastic bed of the ST? Is it empty between the "liner" and the outside fenders? If I drill into the plastic to mount something, am I only going to go through the plastic to a certain depth and then hit the outside of the truck??? :eek:

For the most part, yes, it is just empty. The liner is a couple of millimeters thick. If you remove the couple of screws on the electrical outlet in the bed, you can reach your hand up there and get a bit of an idea of what is there. I think that you could also remove the top rail if you are really interested (I haven't actually done that, so I am taking a bit of a guess that will be able to see into the empty space.)

Check the pictures of the burned out ST. Looks like no metal in the bed sides.

Outside fenders are not metal. Use a drill-stop on your bit and it won't be a problem. If you don't know what that is, go to a hardware store and ask for a set.

Thanks Bill, yeah, I have some drill stops for my bits. I'm not even planning on drilling yet, just trying to collect info so that when I DO do anything I won't have to post then and wait. :)