ST Creaking Sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnVic M

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago I noticed the ST was making a new creaking sound. At first it only seemed to happen during acceleration when it was cold, but then it did it at startup. Interestingly this started within a week of installation of a hitch and towing our RV for the first time (and only time so far). I thought perhaps it was the frame torquing from the hitch receiver install, but am now thinking it's something else like engine mounts. Here is a short video of the sound it makes at startup, it's a little hard to hear it but it happens at 4 seconds in the video. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts as to what this might be. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Note sure since I have not heard it on my own Trac, but I wonder if that is the infamous timing chain rattle that is often reported.

Sounds like mine except mine is right at the start up. It has been doing that fore about 7-8 K miles. No change. Ed

Very interesting, so many different thoughts. Much appreciated! I guess we'll see what the dealer says when I take her in for service in the next few weeks.

Almost sounds like the belt to me too...

Todd Z

Took the ST to the dealer. They diagnosed a worn serpentine belt and bearings, so replaced the belt, pulley and tensioner. The next day the noise was still there. I don't doubt these parts needed replacement at 13 years and 90,000 miles. We were able to reproduce the clacking sound reliably at approximately 1400RPM. It's not there 100 or so RPM below or above that, and gets less pronounced as it gets heated up. Just wondering your thoughts again before she goes back to Ford for another try.

Latest posts