ST Lift / Tires / Ideas...Please help.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiveDeep 07

Reaction score
Hey there STer's! DiveDeep ST here with some more questions regarding some of my current thoughts! :) Ok...so here goes nothin!!! I am currently seeking ideas and suggestions for lifting my Sport Trac. Yes, it is 2WD, big deal! I still would like to do it. Ok, I currently have it lowered 2" front and 2" rear, TT/Blocks. I also trimmed the bump stops on the front and rear just a bit. I am currently using the OEM shocks still.

1. I would like to know, could I do a TT to the front and ONLY shackles to the rear and accomplish a well beneficial lift? And very functional?

2. Do I NEED to get new shocks?

3. Would shackles from somewhere like an autoparts store get the job done efficiently and accurately?

4. What would the best size AND brand tires be using 1.25" spacers with the stock XLS wheels? 16 inch I believe.

5. Any downfall to a lift as such? Could I use the factory cambers for the upper-control arms and adjust it as to needs or do I need to leave my aftermarket camber/caster kit installed and only adjust it (which was for it being lowered)?

6. Is it going to be bad to do with the bump stops being cut down a bit for it being lowered or should I get new ones or does it even matter?

7. The XCal 2 can be programmed with whatever tire size I choose so it will recalibrate the speedometer to read accurately with the larger tires,etc...correct?

I am sorry for the scatter-brained post and all the questions, just want to get it done inexpensively, efficiently, and with your help! Thanks, DD ST

Last edited by a moderator:
1. yes you would get a decent lift out of it

2.i dont think so but it is recommended

3.i wouldn't use them heard bad things about them

4.I think 285 70 is the biggest you can go on factory wheels tires???

5.your camber bolts should work fine

6.I would get new ones if you hit a bump so hard it compresses to the cut bumpstop you might loose control

7. yes it will fix speedometer

i dont know everything but i hope this helps

Link provided is where I got my shackles to complete 5 inches of lift. Install went very smooth (did it myself) and they came in the mail in 2 days.. I was surprised.

Have fun lifting the truck.. I had soooo much fun doing it. I sometimes miss doing all the research and waiting :) My truck is a different situation then yours, so I will leave the question answering to others.

Only thing I can give advice on is start looking for after market rims. You will be able to achieve larger and better proportioned rubber sizes.

Take a look in my gallery :)

The others gave some good information but I will just add some more.

1)Yes you will get a nice lift. With bigger tires and everything you should get about 3" total. Functional? I don't know what you want it for but don't expect an offroad monster.

2)You can keep the stock shocks but I don't recommend it. You will be higher and will want better shocks although it can be done later I would do everything at the same time.

3)Get the shackles from tellico4x4.com that Snooze posted. I have the same ones and they are great and very strong. Cheap too and you don't want just anything back there.

4a)I have the 16" premium wheels but and I am able to fit 285/75/16 tires. I like and have the BF Goodrich TA KO but I know a lot of other have the Bridgestone Duelers. If you go with this size you will have slight rubbing when turning the wheels to full lock and also occasionally when going up a steep driveway or parking lot skirt.

4b)Wheel spacers are fine but use good quality lug centric solid aluminim. I have 1.5" on the back but with the large tires was not able to fit any spacers on the front. Just having them on the back greatly improves the handling and brings the rear tires out nicely with the fenders. You don't need them on the front anyway.

5)You will notice a stiffer ride but I haven't had any problems and have had it for years.

6)I don't know about the bump stops

7)Yes, the xcal can reprogram for the larger tires.

There are pictures in my library if you want to take a look for yourself.

George

[Broken External Image]:

I kept the stock shocks, since replaced anyway, they will be fine for 1.5" lift.

That will let you fit a 32" tire and a narrow 33" but the stock 7" rims are really too narrow for 285's and marginal for 265's. 8" wide rims are better, which brings me to.....

15" wheels are tires are usually a bunch cheaper than 16's, so if you want to do the whole deal I'd say go with the TT & shackles then put on a set of 32x11.50-15 on 15x8 rims with 3.75" backspacing. They'll fit fine and no spacers needed.

George,

Could I put spacers on the front with larger tires? What is a good recommendation for a tire with not soo aggressive tread pattern? Is this, however, a good road tire? Could I fit those same size tires you have on the XLS wheels? Are the XLS and the SLT premium wheels the same measurements? Thanks, DD ST

These are my factory wheels.

[Broken External Image]:

Riyoku,

The exhaust is a flowmaster 40 series delta flow with single inlet and dual outlets.

DiveDeep,

I wasn't able to fit spacers on the front because the tires are so large. The tires would have hit the cladding. Do you know the dimension of the xls rims? If they are the 16" I believe they are the same as the premium ones and you should be able to fit the tires. I like the BF Goodrich. Not too lout but have an on/offroad tread suitable for all conditions.

George

George, they are 16" by 7 or either 7.5. I have Michelin 235/70/r16 tires on them now as they sit in my garage. Thanks for the info on the tires and wheels bud! I really appreciate it! What is a round about price to get those tires, shackles, and alignment? Just curious. Thanks, DD ST