ST stock tire brand name?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tien N

Reaction score
My 2001 ST came with aftermarket General tires. The front needs to be changed soon, and I was wondering what is the actual stock tire namebrand on the ST? I think Good Years were the original tires but anyone can provide the brand/model/size? Thanks.

IF you go to tirerack.com and put in your year/model ST they will tell you the original tire brand/size. I will tell you now: Don't ge tthe GoodYears. They are pretty bad! Do you have the 15" wheels or 16" wheels?? I had some Bridgestone Dueler Revos on my '01 and really liked them. Before that I had Michelin Cross Terrains on there and they were both great tires.

Odds are, your 2001 Trac came with Firestone Wilderness AT.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen is correct. The early 2001 Sport Trac's were equiped with Firestone Wilderness AT tires. In the late summer and early fall of 2000 Firestone recalled some of the 16" Wilderness AT's due to possible manufacturing defects that would cause the tread to separate which led to a number of accidents and deaths.

In early 2001, Ford continued to experience problems with all Wilderness AT tires and they held their own recall on all sizes of the tire. (15" and 16"). They allowed owners to purchase the brand of tire of their choice and they would reimburse the cost of the new tires, mounting, balancing etc.

I only had the Wilderness AT tires on my vehicle for about 2 weeks and replaced them with some Goodyear AquaTreads. Total cost was about $550 which Ford sent me a check for.

Later, Ford began providing new Sport Tracs with several brands of tires including Michelin and Goodyear and later settle on Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires as the OEM standard tire for the Sport Trac/

...Rich

TN

You did not state if you had a 2WD or 4WD Sport Trac ! The 2001 Job 1 2WD Sport Trac's had a 15" Firestone ( ? ) HT tire. They were also replaced per a TSB if you had any vibration/balance issues. The tire spun on the rim during a hard stop !! Ford gave me a rental car until they figured out the problem than issued the TBS. The HTor highway tread tires were much quiter tire.

Bill

Sorry guys, I have the 16" wheels on a 2x4. I bought the truck used but it didn't come with a manual or info on the tires.

So are the oem Good Years that bad? I tend to think Good Year and Michelins are the way to go, but now maybe otherwise. Seems like most stick with the 255/70/16 sizes.

What is the model for the Michelins?

TN, If you look on the drivers side door you'll find the build date, and the recommended tire pressure for the ST front & rear which is usually 30lbs & 35lbs respectively. Do a site search on tires on tires. I do not recommend the TOYO Open Country A/T's because of the maximum air pressure being 35 psi giving you no cushion and throwing all the work up into the shocks & springs, etc. Also, do look on Tirerack to get an idea as to what tire for your type driving and driving conditions.

We recently, just before driving to Louisville, put on Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's running 33 psi front & 35 psi rear.

Rodger and I have argued about this before, I had the Toyo Open Country A/T tires on my 03 4x4 and I loved them. They handled great, great wet/snow/mud traction. I have a set on order for my F150 as we speak.

wlukus,

That's not true. My 2001 Sport Trac was a 2WD with 15" tires and they were the Firestone Wilderness AT's. Mine was a Job1 made on 06/19/2000.

Firestone started the recall of some 16" Wilderness AT's that were made at a specific factory. Later, they expanded to include all 16" Wilderness AT's regardless of what factory made them.

Finally Ford recalled all Firestone Wilderness AT tires including the 15" tires. Within a few months Ford broke all ties with Firestone since Firestone was blaming all the tire failures and accidents on defective design of the Explorer's suspension, but the majority of the accidents involved tread separation.

...Rich

Latest posts