ST2002 suggestions for new radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
My radio has a CD player. I think it is no frills basic model and it is original. It is time for a new one. What are some options for a decent bolt in replacement?

Thanks

Check Ebay if you want a plug and play replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look around for a DUAL XHD7714. There are a few on ebay right now. ~$60.

HD radio, has built in Bluetooth, plays mp3s off a usb flash drive. Also has a nice IR remote. You should also be able to locate a DIN adapter that fits in the ST's hole and gives you a little compartment below.

A couple years ago Walmart was selling these, they even had the adapter. Crutchfield also sold it.

I've been real happy with this radio.

Any OEM radio from a '01-'03 Sport Trac or Ranger will plug right in. The premium (Pioneer) radios support a sub which you probably don't have. '04-'05 non premium radios will also work.

As an alternative, you can fit a double din navigation radio with a little non visible trimming and the correct (readily available) wiring and mounting adapters.

I did the latter to my '05 ST and it turned out very nice.

:driving:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Dual XHD 6430 and don't recommend it. It has a great set of features, but it's just too unreliable and buggy. Not sure if the 7714 will be better.

I had good luck emailing replacementradios.com to ask what they offer as a replacement for my yearSportTrac

They recommended this model to me, and I have been very happy. It fits, it is for a Ford, and it looks right in the dash

http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_122&products_id=457

Thanks for feedback!

The Dual XHD7714 is fine for me.

here was one I saw:

==

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Electronics-XHD7714-CD-Player-USB-MP3-In-Dash-Receiver-REPLACEMENTS-/290972861001?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item43bf558249

==

I want so many toys that I got to prioritize expenditures and this one is in my comfort zone.

Just to confirm that this will fit without cutting sheet metal.

The original radio plugs in a connector, correct?.

Can I get an wire harness/adapter so I can plug the adapter into the existing connector in the vehicle and splice to the replacement unit?

I have tools and skills to cut sheet metal but don't wan to.

I am also capable of soldering/and splicing etc; but since I do not have documentation for the wiring/ color code, I do not want to start something I will not be able to complete.

BTW: is there a setting on this blog so I get an email when someone responds to my posts?

My '02 had a Dual radio in it when I got it. The faceplate didn't move down like it needed to, and I couldn't tell what station I was tuned to. Took it out and put a factory unit I got from someone on here back in it.

And yes it fit right in the factory opening with the adapter like Dean mentioned. And there's a wiring kit that plugs in between the factory wiring and the Dual radio.

Note the listing you linked to comes without a faceplate.

I'm willing to bet that Walmart still sells the adapter to fit the standard DIN sized radio into the sport trac hole. If not, you should be able to get one off of ebay. Here is one on ebay that looks correct:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Radio-DASH-KIT-Single-Din-Install-Stereo-w-Pocket-Faceplate-FD38P-/120939312215?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c288b7457&vxp=mtr

I bought the Dual DUAL XHD7714 shortly after my coworker bought one from Crutchfield.

I walked into Walmart one day and they had the radio & the adaptor. I think the radio was $120 and the adapter around $15. That was a few years ago. My brother bought the same radio for his Honda S2000.

Be advised that you will have to remove the whole center bezel to excise the old radio and install the new radio. But it was pretty easy. Most of the time was spent soldering all the wires. Take the time to put some electrical tape around the adapter to minimize rattle and noise.

Also note that Crutchfield has a $50 deal where they team up with a local installer who comes to you an installs their radios. It's not a bad a deal if you don't want to get your hands dirty. That is what my buddy did when he bought his Dual.

The only downside to the XHD7714 is that it's night lighting is a blue color. Wish they made it green to match the rest of the gauges. Also, and very rarely, I have come across some poorly encoded MP3 files that it did not like.

Good luck.

The factory radio comes out the front of the bezel - no need to take the bezel out if you have the U shaped radio removal tool (about $5 at Walmart or parts stores). In fact, it's easier to remove the stock radio from the bezel with the bezel still attached to the dash.

Latest posts