Stalling in Reverse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Mattison

Reaction score
Long time lurker....

I have a 2004 2wd Sport Trac. Today, after a 45 min drive I arrive at my friends house to pickup my boat. I try to backup and boom....Sputter and stall. Try again...same thing. ST drives fine in D. So, I restart and goose it in R a little and finally get the trailer hooked up and drive home. I give the R a try and it seems fine, but after manuvering the boat into the driveway in Reverse a little, it starts acting up again. I run to a close-by shop late in the PM and they scan and get some sort of 'Torque Converter Failure' code in Reverse...They say it is locking up in reverse.

Anyone ever hear of this? I'm headed to my dealer tomorrow AM for a diagnostic and (hopefilly) an easy repair.

The one thing I can say, is when I went to pickup the boat, the dirt road had some deep puddles (no horsing around, just idle) but the bottom of the truck did get wet :)

Keep in mind, earlier in the day, it backed up fine, no signs of impending doom before trying to backup to the trailer after the dip in the muddy waters.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

tmatt.

A couple of members have had the problem with the torque converter locking when it shouldnt. If I remember corectly all it was was a solenoid replacement, not the whole coverter. Let an independent do the work. Cheaper than ford.

The major problem with our transmissions is the slipping from 2cnd to 3rd. If that happens and the OD light starts blinking. Take it to the shop imediatly if the light is blinking. Can be the difference of $700 repair or a complete transmision.

Welcome to the site, BTW...:D

Thanks for the info. I kind of thought it could be something simple, but since my dealer has been 'diagnosing' it for the past 6 hours, I'm beginning to wonder?!?!?! Whatever the conclusion, it'll be covered under my extended warranty.

tmatt.