Starter Just Went 2010 STA

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Mark Connolly

Reaction score
During the week I felt the start ups were getting weaker. Low and behold the starter went today. I could see the braided copper wire on the starter has disintigrated and would spark a little when attempting to start. A tried to wiggle it, poke it hit the starter to get it home. No buen. Bought a tow rope and had a buddy tow it back. Bow I gotta get in there and replace. Any advice before I start?
Thanks

mc

Mark Connolly

Reaction score
Well i replaced the starter. Wasn’t to bad. Taking off then passenger wheel helped alot. Also if I had a side air ratchet would of made things much, much quicker and easier. 2 hours start to finish. I used a 13mm for the main bolts. Sprayed a little w-d 40 on them before i started. Starter was rusted up and a mess. All in all a satisfying event. Keep on trucking.

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Are you 2 Wheel Dr. or four-wheel-drive because that can make a difference on replacing it.. Glad you got the truck going.

Mark Connolly

Reaction score
Its an AWD
Thanks Todd.

Attachments

• 4CE13E5A-26D9-41A7-907D-B4ACA7F5C0C8.jpeg
    4CE13E5A-26D9-41A7-907D-B4ACA7F5C0C8.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 14

ReggieT

V6 Engine
Reaction score
Good info. We all need little suggestions from time to time. Taking off the front wheel is something I probably would have done, only after skinning a knuckle, and cussing a bit. Now I know to do that first. Mine is 2WD, but the process will be similar, I am sure. Also, I do have a pneumatic side ratchet. That too is helpful. Don't need this info at the moment, but for future reference, it is stored away. Thanks.