Starting Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so last week, the trac started acting up. She usually starts on the first try, but now it takes 2 or more to finally get started. Fuel injector cleaner has been added 3 weeks ago, other then that nothing has changed. I have been good about oil changes, but she's at 94000 miles, any suggestions? I'm planning a full tune up next weekend. Thanks in advance for the help.

Try pressing the pedal down a little bit about 1/3 of the way and see if it fires up or turn the key over a couple times to prime the fuel pump. I've never had the issue but these are ways of diagnosing a fuel delivery problem that or a zabteck fuel pressure gauge. Start with the filter and go from there would be my suggestion.

Has everyone here forgottent the common problem with the 2001 and 2002 Sport Trac and the leaking fuel pump. ????

The fuel pump is submerged in the gas tank. The early pumps leaked and the residual pressure would drop while the vehicle sat over knight or more than 6-8 hours. The easiest way to check this is to simply turn the ignition key on without attempting to start the vehicle. This will turn on the electric fuel pump for about 15 seconds, and allows the pump to build up pressure.

Then shut the key off. This is important because when you turned on the ingition without proper fuel pressure, the computer deactivates the ignition. Turning the key off will reset the computers startup cycle. That's why you can crank and crank on the engine and it will not start even though fkuel pressue has built up, but the computer was already told that there is no fuel pressure. It does not reset until the key is shut off and turned on again.

Now when you turn on the key and engage the started the engine will start right up.

The problem was fixed in the later 2002 models, but even then it would pop up in a late model 2002 or 2003 ST.

...Rich

Ok, so I did the gas pedal down about 1/3 and it worked a couple times. This is really getting on my nerves, my baby has not had problems for almost a year and now she's falling apart. I plan on changeing the fuel filter this weekend, I don't know when the last time it was changed. I will keep you all posted, and thank you for all the help, I'm not mechanicly inclined but I love to learn.

Latest posts