Starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 02 Trac is turning over longer before it starts. If it sits overnight it takes longer for it to start, if I'm running around and starting it throughout the day it starts right away. Could this be a fuel pump? If so where is it located, how hard is it to replace and how much?

Chris

Fuel pump is in the tank, the pump is 100+ and good 200 Labor...

Try this first...

Turn the key on (DO NOT START) Waite 3 seconds, then turn it off , then back on 3-5 times, then start the truck... IF it starts right away it is a fuel system issue... IE: the pump or a clogged fuel filter...

Even if the filter is new, it could have slow flow..

Todd Z

The filter was changed at 36k and I have 44k on it now. Could the filter really be plugged? I'll do the start test and that will tell me if it is the fuel pump. Is it easy to change after you remove the tank? Thanks Todd!!

Chris

Chris, That will tell you if the filter is clogged or the regulator in the pump is going bad...

I allways recommend changing the fuel filter first... ( even if it is new)....

You can remove the tank to replace the pump, But I know some members have removed the truck bed instead... IT is easier and you don't have to work on your back...

Todd Z

Latest posts