Steering Column Assembly Mounting Studs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
When dropping the steering column to repair a broken shifter tube I found one of the steering column assembly mounting nuts was cross threaded onto the stud. I had to remove the stud with the nut still attached and with a little elbow grease was able to work the nut off. I checked the nut with another stud and its threads were okay. The threads on the stud however are shot. I spent an hour with the very patient parts guys at my local dealer and several hours on the web searching for the part number of the stud. No luck.

Does anyone have the part number for the stud? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All four mounting points use the same stud. If it makes any difference, this is a tilt steering column.

Can you just cut it off, Drill and install a nut and bolt ??

Its probably a wheel stud off a mustang or something... lol

Todd Z

I got it out but need to replace it so I can install the nut that holds the steering assembly in place. The stud which can only be installed from the bottom has a star torx head so it can be tightened. Also there is an integral washer centered on the stud to prevent driving the stud in too far. This washer also keeps the four mounting points "level" so the cast body of the steering column assembly does not crack.

That sucks....

Junk yard.....?

Todd Z