Steering rack vent tube

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
I finally got around to changing out the spark plus (big thanks to the members project section here). As I always do when I have the ST in the garage I did a look around underneath for any problems. I happen to look up and see a metal tube that went to no where under the steering rack. When I grabbed onto it, it was completely loose, could move it all around and with little effort and twisting it around its corners pulled it right out. I had no idea what it was or where it went but after checking parts diagrams it appears to be a "breathing tube" that runs between the two boots. I can see where it connects on one side but not the other. I have noticed no problems with the steering and boots still seem fine despite the fact that I think this tube has been off for some time by the looks of it(supposedly without the breathing tube they can collapse or over expand)

Has anyone had this happen? How does this actually connect, what holds it in place? Should I be fine to just try reinserting it or is there something specific I should be looking for for damage or to hold it in place. I dont understand how it could just disconnect its in a pretty tight spot and cant see anything hitting it or pulling on it unless it has been that way for over a year when I had inner rod replaced maybe.

Anyway just trying to keep the ST in good running shape, its served me well for 8 years and hoping for a couple more.

I see the nipple on one boot right at the top in plain view. I cant see the one on the other side based on the bend in the tube it looks like it should/would be near the front and bottom on that side (drivers side) I will have to try to contort around and look further. How do these attach/hold in place. The metal tube looks like it would connect like a fuel line or coolant line but I do not see any type of clip on the nipple that I can see, does is just simple slip inside the nipple hold and supposed to stay there. It really seems like it has been this way for a long time by the looks of the tube where is has wear marks from bouncing around where it was but I dont seem to have any problems.

OK I've haven't made it back under it yet, hoping to tomorrow hopefully I can just put the tube back in there and everything will be fine.

Just to finish off my post in case anyone else ever has such a problem. I got the tube put back in. It seems to just simple push into the nipples on each boot, nothing holds it in. It takes a little force to push in so they seem like they will stay. My passenger side boot was missing its inner clamp that holds it on so that is probably what allowed the tube to come out as the whole boot could have moved in enough and then it wiggled out of the other side. This is the opposite side from where I had an inner tie rod replaced last years (drivers side boot was secured with a zip tie on the inside) so I have no idea if the clamp just broke off somehow or what. There seemed to be no damage or problem caused by the tube being out so I just put it back in place and zip tied that boot.

If you can I would still clamp or put a small or tie wrap, on the tubing. The purpose is is to move air pressure from one side to the other. When you turn the wheels, as the boot colapses. This keeps the boot sealed. Keeps the air pressure from popping the boot off. Just a little looseness, the tube may pop off. Most of my fords in the past. The tubing was clamped. I havent looked at my Trac, though.

EddieS'04 are you saying to put a zip tie around the tube nipple itself with the tube inside as in a tiny zip tie that would encircle all of about 1" around maybe. I would be very interested in knowing what other's look like. On the passenger side where the tube/nipple are at the top it would probably fairly easy to put a tie around it but on the drivers side where it is near the bottom/front I think it would be very difficult to do so.

Latest posts