Steering Wheel squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
When I turn my steering wheel it is recently making a squeak like noise; it is not all the time and mostly seems to occur when making larger revolutions. The power steering is fine and it turns smoothly, it's just kind of annoying. Anyone have an idea as to why this is or how to prevent it? I was just going to spray some WD-40 and see what happened.

I wouldnt spray wd40. Take a good look at the plastic covers. Might have a rub. Look at where the shaft go's thru the floor. Could be dry bushing. Also if you are compentant with it. Pull the steering wheel. The top sealed shaft bearing may be bad.

Shawn,

I have the same squeak-noise & it seams to come & go. I notice it most when I back the Trac into the garage & I'm turning the wheel to line up into the parking spot. I don't seem to hear while i'm driving. It actually seems like it has gotten less noticable:driving: lately.

I have the same squeek intermittently. Sounds like it is coming from right behind the Airbag. Could it be the Clock Spring making this noise?

Latest posts