Steps to increase performance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Sargent

Reaction score
Just got my 2001 4x2, estate green, want to inc performance, and mileage if possible, while spending wisely, any thoughts and priorities are helpful. Truck has 58000 miles on it, 1 owner before me. Tires are Michelin, LTX M/S.

Rear antisway bar? New bar bushings? K&N, Airaid or similar air box, filter?, Recommended brands? ease of install? chips?, better shocks? Front anti sway bar? T

Thanks, John in Tucson

This is what I have done to increase performance and mpg:

Performance (for better gas milage) -

AirAid Cold Air Intake;

Royal Purple: 5w-30 engine oil, Syncromax tranny fluid, power steering fluid, Purple Ice radiator additive, & MaxGear in the differential;

SCT XCalibrator II (w/ programs for 87 octane & towing);

Trick Flow differential cover w/ Royal Purple MaxGear oil;

Flex-a-lite 180 Extreme electric fan;

Taylor Vortex spark plug wires & new OEM plugs;

Flowmaster 70 Big Block single-in / duel-out muffler;

ZabTeck throttle body;

ZabTeck C&L Mass Air Flow Sensor housing;

Accel or Scream'n Demon Coil Pack

:D

Everything that Roger listed will boost performance when you hit the gas pedal, and potenially give you a little better MPG if you can control the temptation in your right foot. :D

Now if you add up all the cost for that equipment, you will realize that you could buy a lot of gas with that money, but you would not have that performance cabability available when you wanted/needed it. If you do buy those performance parts and use them, you will probably find your MPG has gone down...a lot !

That's the catch-22 of performance/fuels saving modifications. Horsepower requires fuel There are things that will improve the eficiency of the engine which can save a small amount of gas, but making more horsepower is counter productive to getting good gas mileage. Once you get that kick in the pants, it's hard to keep your foot out of it, thus performance mods rarely return any MPG savings, and often make MPG much worse.

...Rich

Hey John,

Welcome to the site...

Check out the site sponsors as well, you will find a wealth of items to help you out.

Also feel free to email them, I am sure they all will help you as well..

Todd Z