Steve Irwin killed by stingray

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have always been Steve Irwin fans here. There's very few like him that make watching animal conservation programing fun and interesting, instead of just the old fact-filled, boring documentary. He will be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a cooky guy, fun to watch for the most part. Too bad that it happened.

His wife was with him always as these events, wonder if she was there for this one??

My oldest son will be crushed. He had dreams of moving to Australia and working as a zoologist with him. It's a shame, but he died doing what he loved. I feel bad for his wife and children. The irony is that he would never hurt an animal yet it was an animal that killed him. Such a shame.:(

Coastie--No, she wasn't. But tragically, his 8-year-old daughter was with him at the time.

Correction: I've now seen new reports that say that both of their kids were with his wife at the time. Can't vouch for the accuracy of either the old or new reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a real loss when a "good guy" gets it. My son and I enjoyed many of his shows and it was great education and fun.

He lived life to it's fullest and had a good run. God speed.

Sincerely,

Mark

Well... he was doing what he loved, so I am counting him to be lucky. Most people die doing something as rediculous as diving to the local strore. Steve lived life on the edge... he's probably just upset now that it wasn't an aligator that did it. The guy was passionate about wildlife and lived and died with it.

Unfortunately he also had a family... hopefully they'll find closure in the fact that Steve died doing what he loved...

Hopefully they got it on video, because Steve once said that is he were to die, that he would want them to tape it and not step in and help. Hopefully he got his wish.

I'm sorry for his family and fans but still can't seem to shake the feeling that this is another "big" news story that at the end of the day really doesn't affect me whatsoever.

TJR

He was filming a documentary and was snorkling near the Great Barrier Reef. As he swam over a bull ray hidden in the sand on the sea floor, it whipped its tail and the venomous tail spine punctured his heart. He died instantly. A bull ray can grow to be 48" wide.

[Broken External Image]:

What a way to go. Quickly, painlessly, and doing what he loved doing.

Mark

He did EVERYTHING I WOULDN"T DARE :eek: TO DO! So yes he will be missed....and then someone else will come along and take up where he left off. I loved his shows and was superbly amazed that one could have so much courage and wit to do such a thing. God speed to you, Steve! You made us feel good about nature and all the wonders of it!:D

I actually thought about it several times today. Don't know why, but I feel sad that he is gone. I can't imagine going like that. My wife said " A sting Ray??? Like the ones we swam with in Grand Caymen???" Probably a different species. I wouldn't mind swimming with them again. If you haven't done it, it is quite an experience.

I think he taught us all that we need to respect nature. I noticed he was born one month before me, in Feb 1962. He accomplished a lot in his life, but that is too young to die.

According to news reports, Steve was able to pull the tail out of his chest before he died. Apparently, they did get that on video.