Still a lot of life or time to move on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Wolfe 3

Reaction score
I bought my ST new in 2001, 4X4, automatic with 4.1 limited slip, premium sport grp. It is just getting ready to turn over 100,000 and I'm trying to decide if I should get something else. My primary concern is reliability. The truck recently had to have the fuel pump replaced, so I have that out of the way. Back in 2009 I had a transmission valve body gasket blown out around low/reverse servo which was repaired. No other serious problems. I've kept up with the recommended services and oil changes have been at 3-4,000 miles. The truck has never been used for towing or hauling much weight. The only known problem is that the wiring harness in the steering column has a problem that only shows up if you lower the steering wheel, so we don't.

I would really like to try to squeeze another year or two out of this, but not if it means significant failures and high maintenance costs.

I know transmission failures have been an issue, but what else should I be aware of with this age and mileage?

You sound like you are in considerably good shape to me. Quality fluid and filter changes all around annually, alignments and rotations, Seafoam in the tank once every few months. In my experience it will only ever be as reliable as you let it. Spark plugs been changed recently? Rockauto.com has a bunch of closeout stuff available now cheap, so a little inexpensive proactive maintenance may get you a lot more than another year or two.

I wouldn't be worried in the slightest if I was in your place.

Agree, I wouldn't be worried. 100k isn't a lot of miles, especially on an '01. I have 125k on my '08. :driving:

Just the same, we can get tired of the same vehicle. If you like your Trac and can find a clean Gen 2, they are vastly better in most respects. I've owned both.

I have 155,000 miles on my 2001 4x4 Job 2. It's more reliable now than it was before 100,000 miles. I know exactly where this vehicle sits. I'll need a fuel pump eventually (no problems noted, but I know it's coming). Replaced the alternator 10,000 miles ago, but you never know when they'll go out, so no harm, no foul. The front end, tie rods and ends, tires, shocks, ball joints, and all that are up to snuff until 200,000. I'm VERY confident this truck will last three more years until the new Ranger comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 365,000 on my '01. Put at Ford remanufactured engine and tranny in at the same time around 160,000 because engine lost compression and I had been running around on the tranny with a blown reverse for about a month. It was funny how I had to always park so I didn't need to back up.

The truck was worth throwing the money into because I knew every bit care i put into it. It paid off because it's still trackin' and I may put another engine or tranny if either one goes again. To me this truck is irreplaceable.

Mine is original to the family passed to me when I moved across country, 2002 4WD with about 155,XXX miles, and countless hours of off road time. I have to put the equivalent of a couple of months payments of a brand new truck into it each, year, which I'll do until the frame rots through.:driving::haveabeer::supercool:

My 2003 ST (I am the only owner) is still going strong with 197K miles! Yes, some parts have had to be replaced (the biggest was a new tranny at about 110K), and it does need more TLC now than when it was brand new. But I have a mechanic that I trust taking good care of it and I still spend a lot less in repairs than I would if making payments on a new vehicle.

FYI - I do not do any towing or off road driving.

I love my ST!

240,000 miles on my '01 with no major repairs. I perform the scheduled maintenance.

Just replaced the radiator (plastic side tank crack). Burned 1.5 quarts of oil the last interval (5,000 miles), but considering the mileage, I think this isn't bad; I'll have to watch it and add a quart mid interval.

You should easily get a couple of years out of it.

I have an '02 with 189k that I got at 165k and it hasn't failed to start on me. I've fixed annoyances like fuel pump needing primed 3-5 times before start, worn plugs, tranny filter, warped brakes etc but as far as I can tell it has the original transmission and motor with no problems. I have done some mods to mine and wouldn't get rid of it for anything short of financial crisis (had a scare recently - Swap and Sell shows). Timing chain rattles a little if I leave it idling, but that's my fault for putting in 5-20 instead of 5-30. Love my Trac!

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm inclined to keep it and see how the next year goes. I've got a couple long drive ski trips planned this winter and really would hate to break down then.

My biggest fear is transmission based on looking around the forum and other sources. Is it correct to think that I might get some indication the tranny was going before complete failure?

Most trannies that I know of started slipping a bit long before they completely went. The other thing is that helps an older transmission is not to stomp on it from stop lights and entrance ramps to freeways. Nice and gentle.

Just got a 105,000 service. Shop informed me that my body mount bushings are almost gone. I'm going to have them install the Prothane bushings. Disappointing, but I've seen enough posts on the forum to know this was coming.

But I'm still keeping it!

Latest posts