Still no TC lock up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apats77

Reaction score
Recently replaced my valve body and all the solenoids. Still getting OD flash and TC lock up code. I do feel the TQ disengagement at speed and the light blink with it.

code was cleared after replacement of VB.

guessing it needs a TQ. Any other ideas that are less involved and expensive?

truth be told. I’m not doing a TQ. Not on this brute. Too much into it already.

The Computer is seeing the lock up but seeing a slip and throwing the code. you could try a 100% flush, But sadly it will need a converter or rebuild... There was also an TSB additive for the 04, ford has it.... try that too.

I agree with that guy.... Its gonna need a trans soon....

I thought there is an external relay for the TQ convertor lock up. Or is it part of the valve body.?

It’s a noid in the VB. I drove it today and got over twice as far as usual before it finally kicked out. Maybe it’s full of junk and needs a flush? I don’t know. But 7 fresh qrts of mercon V, bottle of Lucas and a new filter Gutta help!

part of VB, can be changed.... I would do a good full flush and see how the old stuff is...

I think its like 14-17 qts

My cost at ford is 195 for a rebuilt TC. Is it worth a shot? When I dropped the pan and the Valvebody there was clutch material and one very small (1/4 of the sizes of the + top of a AA battery) chunk of brass. No metal slivers in the pan. Trans shifts like butter (when the TC is working properly, little bit harder when it’s slipping)

It’s a lot of labor to find out the trans is toast. The metal part sounds like a valve body cap or seal. Almost a piston. I would try to identify that first beceause if it’s part of a servo or band the trans is toast