still rough idle in drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Pilgrim

Reaction score
O.K. I have an Xcal economy tune and installed a Zabteck CAI through the fender. I am impressed with the throttle performance and sound however when I come to a stop, it is almost like it is going to stall. First starts to roll, then gets a little loppy. RPM's are around 600 to 700. I have to either put in neutral or do the brake gas thing (which I don't like to do).

I have checked all connections and can't find anything leaking. When I installed the CAI, I only removed the old air intake along with the bypass pipe.

Could it be the bypass breather pipe that is leaking? I did have trouble with the gromet in the aluminum air tube and had to reseal it. Could that have contaminated the MAF sensor?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to remove it and try the stock set up but may have to to see if that is it.

thx all

Mel

Have you tried cleaning the IAC ??

Did you disconnect the battery when you installed the CAI ???

Todd Z

I did clean the IAC earlier this summer. Also did the seafoam cleaner too. It did improve the idle but that was before the Xcal and CAI.

The only thing I have not done is disconnect the battery. Did not really want to do that but that is about the only thing I have not tried. Will try that first thing Sat. morning. Got my fingers crossed.

Mel

Mel,

How long was the intake on the truck before you installed the tune ???

OR did you do both at the same time ???

Todd Z

Also so did you let the motor go through idle relearning proccess. If not you might try that after the battery disconnect. While the motor is cold start it and let it idle for 10minutes in park and let the motor come to normal temperature. Then turn on the AC and let it idle for a few more minutes to relearn that idle point. Then take it for a drive.

i had the same problem with my 2001. go to advanced auto parts or another parts store and pick up a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner, take off the mass air flow sensor (you'll probably have to get a t-20 security torx bit) and spray down the pickups real good. if you cant find the cleaner at your auto parts store, get some denatured alchohol from the drugstore and soak the sensor in it for an hour or so. this is advice i got from another forum and it worked for me !

regarding your question Todd, I had the tune installed before the CAI.

I did let it warm up some too.

Last night I disconnected the battery and it does seem a bit better.

I am thinking that maybe the mass air flow needs cleaning too. will try that also.

will let you know what happens.

thx

Mel