Still want Sport Trac Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Faulder

Reaction score
Still hope we get a replacement for the Sport Trac !

I understand the marketing issues with F-150 ETC.

Why not call a new offering "F-150 SPORT TRAC" ?

Downsize it a bit. Similar knock 'em dead F-150 styling and put the eco boost engine in. Hold off on Aluminum alloy to hold the price down ?

Try to hold line on price with limited frills on base model but list options for those who don't mind paying for them.

Will count as F-150 sales but, more important, will keep me from turning in to local GMC or Chevy Dealer looking for new Colorado or Canyon !

Another option.

Could the current EXPLORER be modified with a small pickup bed in place of the enclosed cargo area ?

If so the obvious name of this new unit : EXPLORER RANCHERO !

OK, will stop beating the "dead horse" ! Good one, :banana:

You also make a good point chr$ . I had not thought of that.

So guys, back to reality and just concentrate on keeping my 2007 Trac w/ 112,000 going.

Body is good with no rust, runs good, looks good, and I love it !

Just need to find a Dealer that can fix my issue w/ low tire pressure sensors, dome lamp that come on when I hit small bump, radio where I lost clock and all display and can only listen to 3 stations. They did fix my back up warning sensor problem.

All electrical issues. Must have got a Trac w/ a 1965 T-BIRD electrical system. Remember those w/ the troublesome sequential turn signals ? :cry:

BillOHIO, My 07 ST has the same dome light issue when I hit a bump or brake hard going down a hill. I doesn't do it all the time and I only notice it at night. It doesn't seem to be the doors, I can wiggle them and the light will NOT come on. If you discover the answer to this issue please post it. Thanx

I have that dome light issue. I traced it to my keys being too heavy. I removed the ign. key from main ring which was loaded and found the light doesn't come on going over bumps. If you wiggle or bounce your ign. key while driving see if that turns the light on. That's how I found mine. I think the added weight has damaged the ignition itself, because I now notice sometimes when I start the vehicle the dome light will stay on until I move the key ever so slightly back towards the off position the light then goes out. I fear the springs inside the ignition may be broken or damaged from the years with the heavy keys. I can live with it now I know what it is, as I don't imagine a new ignition would be cheap. Hope this helps

big b, Good point. After 31 years as parts mgr at Ford Dealership I learned early on not to have heavy keys. I only use the push button fob with the one key. However, After 112,000+ plus miles the ignition switch may be worn. I was thinking of the rheostat switch under the light switch might be the culprit. But after your advice I will move the key next time to see if that turns light off. Thanks !

Bill

bigb,

You nailed it ! I can wiggle the key and turn dome light on so that explains light coming on when hitting a bump. As I explained before I have never had a heavy key chain. Just one key and the small fob that has the lock, unlock, and panic button switch. So normal wear since 2007 and 113.000+ miles.

Probably will not replace switch at this time. Am going to ask Dealer or someone on here if there is danger with this wear that ignition could go off and lose power at bad time ? Never had that happen so far.. If only issue is dome lamp, I can live with that. Spend money on trying to fix that annoying tire sensor coming on. Wish I could just disable the low tire sensor mechanism but can't according to Dealer ? What a step backwards if I could . Have to go back to just checking tire pressure every now and then like I used to for the 50 years that I drove cars and trucks before I got this "great option" in 2007 ! Ha !

The "dead horse" thing is getting old too. Just say'n.

By the way, Ford's lack of consumer "insight" has kept me from replacing my Sport Trac. I know its a terrible infliction but I can't help it. :grin:

Bill, I never had mine shut off but have wonder the same thing. Funny you should mention the tpms coming on. Mine does also randomly. However only with my winter tires. What I have noticed is most often it is in the same stretch of road, within 1/4 km of the point a natural gas line crosses the road. I've suspected it may be interference from some sort of monitoring system on the gas line. Only guessing. Any other time it has been while travelling muliti lane hwy. and I assumed it was another vehicles sensor tripped mine. Don't know it that's possible either. I can't say if the key issue and sensor showed up at the same time or not. Good luck

Latest posts