Still won't run

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Luttrell

Reaction score
Ok, I've all the normal fixes for stalling, and not running. Nothing has worked. When I get it started, it doesn't want to accelerate. If I can get it up to about 2500 RPM then it runs fine. I'm thinking a fuel problem. I changed the fuel filter about a month ago. I was told about a fuel pressure regulator or the pump it's self. Any thoughts? I'm totally lost here. My first thought was fuel problems, but I'm just not sure.

Thanks Tom!

I had found that too, but then I stopped getting that code and just got the P0174. I started thinking about all the comman things. There's a lot on the list I'm not sure how to check, but I'm working on it. Any ideas about which is most likely? Thanks so much again.

Jim

Check your easy stuff first. I highly doubt the problem is mechanical, so leave those to look at last.

Code P0174 is

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171. See Diagnostic Aides for DTC P0171

Code P0171

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. Air Measurement System

MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)

Fuel System

Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).

Fuel filter plugged, dirty.

Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).

Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.

Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.

EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").

Fuel supply line restricted.

Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).

Air Induction System

Air leaks after the MAF.

Vacuum Leaks.

PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)

Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

Exhaust System

Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..

EGR System

EGR valve tube/gasket leak

EVR solenoid vacuum leak

Secondary Air Injection

Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).

View Freeze Frame Data to determine operating conditions when DTC was set. Observe LONGFT1 and 2 PID(s). Refer to Section 2 , Adaptive Fuel DTCs Diagnostic Techniques for more information.

I would check for a vacuum leak first. Possibly an intake manifold leak.

Tom