Stock Shackles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
Ok i am in the process of changing my shackels out. On both the stock shackles i have taken off the bottom nut but cannot get the bolt to move, what shoudl i do to get it to move? I have one jack on each side of the truck and it it set at all most as high as it will go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had three that came out real easy, fourth was a bear. Used plenty of WD40, hammer and a punch. Also can try to twist the bolt, careful, the bolt is rusted to the inner sleeve of the bushing. You don't want to break the sleeve loose from the rubber bushing. I wasn't real gentle, it eventually gave way. Good Luck, Lar

Put the nut back onto it. Spin it on just far enough that it covers the threads but does not allow the bolt to come thru.

Then you can hit the nut and help break the bolt loose from the sleeve that is on the inside of the bushing that it is rusted to...

If there is not enough room then yes.

You can remove the tire and it will let the rear end lower some if you have not already done so.

Also, the springs aren't this that tuff when pulling them down. You may be able to get enough flex to get the shackles to fit in.

I pulled down on the springs while my wife put the bolts in. Wasn't that bad but you will use everything you have to hold those springs down especially if your wife drops the bolt several times. good luck!

Another way to pull them down is,

Get a long bar, go right over the top of the spring where the bolt(s) passed thru all the way to the rear end, (Under the housing). Then pry down...

Ok so 4 and a half hours later i got one shackle on :cool: Hopefully i can get it down to 2 for the other one.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: