Stopped at the oil change/tire shop. Shop put 5w20 in my 03!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
The tire shop put 5w20 in my 03 ST. YIKES! So when I got back to work I noticed on the receipt 5w20. I called asked to speak to the manager. I specificly asked for Full Synthetic Amsoil 5w30. I even explained in the cap has 5w30 in bright yellow leters. After much ado, he appoligized and offered to put 5w30 in for half the cost. I said no thanks but I was having valve stem trouble, which I will post shortly with those results. Needless to say they didn't charge me for the valve stem repair on all 4 tires.

So I went to the auto parts store and bought 5w30 Royal Purple. I just finished changing the oil only. Not the filter. My question is that ok or should I change the filter too? I read some where that 5w20 don't like the SOHC V6 engine in Rangers/Explorers/Sport Tracs. I won't mind changing it but I only put 20 miles on the filter.

the 1/2 qt that stayed in the filter will not hurt any thing....

Todd Z

I only put 4.5 quarts in since I was thinking the filter holds .5 quarts. This is why you change oil yourself!

read some where that 5w20 don't like the SOHC V6 engine in Rangers/Explorers/Sport Tracs.

Guy at work has an '04 Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC, same as mine, and his says to use 5w-20...:unsure:

I was told the oil pump isn't designed for 5w20 and can cause premature bearing wear on older engines. Don't quote me on that, but I'd put in what the cap says.

Speaking of 5W-20, does anyone use it and if so, where is a good place to get a case of it, and what's should I expect to spend?

My '07 Focus is coming up on its first oil change and I think I'll do it myself. I've found the filter for around $5.

TJR

TJR any auto parts store should sell it..... I used to use it at the quick lube all the time... We got it in bulk and bottles....

Todd Z

ToddZ, thanks...yeah, I saw it at Pep Boys...just wondering if anyone recommends Pep Boys vs WalMart, etc, and what's a good price to pay. My local Pep Boys are somewhat asshats. No prices marked on their cases, and when I asked for a price-check they grumbled and asked if I had a part number...duh! Wasn't enough that I gave them a brand name and oil grade, they wanted me to walk all the way to the back with a notepad or something. I was on my way out the door anyway, so I just kept walking.

TJR

Pfft, I had the DEALER put in 5w-20 (my first four oil changes were free). I don't go there for oil changes any more. At least I got a free filter out of it.

So you specifically asked for full syn. 5w30 and they put 5w20 in and won't do jack squat about it?? If I were you I'd go back in there and not leave till they gave me a full refund or changed it again for free.

BTW, wouldn't worry about it, different weight for just one oil change wouldn't make a difference.