STP oil filters?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use them on the wifes toyota starlet. Never had a problem. Never did any analazes either. The reason I used them was they were sometimes the only one I could find for that motor.

As for me I will stick with motorcraft..

I think all filters,filter the same, I use K&N gold filters for two reasons, one they have an anti drainback valve (no dry starts) two they have a one inch nut for removal, easy on easy off.

I am also a regular on www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com where there is more info on oil, lubricants, and filters than most people would care to know about. The STP is a decent middle quality filter.

If you're keeping your oil changes to 5000 miles or less, a Motorcraft, STP, or Purolator is perfectly fine.

Just stay away from anything from the Orange Wall Of Doom.

"Just stay away from anything from the Orange Wall Of Doom."

To make such a sweeping overgeneralization is just dumb.

Yes, this is purely anecdotal evidence, but...

Over the past 35 years I've owned more than a few vehicles, and driven many hundreds of

thousands of miles. The vast majority of my oil changes have been with whatever oil / filter

has been on sale at the time, I'm certain pennzoil / fram are by far what I've used most often.

In all this time I've NEVER had an oil related failure.

Is a Fram the best quality filter out there? I'm certain not.

Is a Fram filter good enough for most applications? I'm certain it is.

Is a Fram filter good enough for most applications? I'm certain it is.

By that comment, I take it you havent read the oil filter study.

Fram. Cardboard pressure valves, broken/torn filter elements, defective anti-drainback valves.

I had a car, I got used, that would rattle like crazy on start-up. Low and behold, there was a Fram oil filter on it. Pulled the oil filter and added 1/2 quart oil to the engine. Essentially same oil, but different filter.

The rattle went away.

Tom

Kelly D. Grills said:

No it isn't. I'm dealing with hard evidence, not just from filters cut open but the fact that Allied Signal has bought more than a few people new engines because the Frams came apart and pieces of them plugged oil passages and the engine took a powder.

And don't call me dumb. We can disagree but we don't insult people around here.

Yes, this is purely anecdotal evidence, but...

Cut one open or look at pics from people who have. Simple fact is that there are much better filters available for the same money (Motorcraft) or less (SuperTech, STP). To get a decent quality Fram you have to step up to a ToughGuard which costs almost double what you'll pay for a Motorcraft but it isn't any better.

Oh, and the "Autolite" filters at Wal-Mart are just relabeled Frams and painted white.

Bottom line, the short version:

Best filter for the money: Motorcraft

A little better filter for a little more money: Wix, NAPA Gold, Purolator PureONE

Best filter: Mobil 1, K&N

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think it's funny that our 2008 Dodge 4.7L uses the same (exact same) filter as our Tracs. Earlier Dodges use a different filter.

Napa Gold or Motorcraft. WalMart Supertech if others are unavailable.

JohnnyO,

No it isn't. I'm dealing with hard evidence, not just from filters cut open but the fact that

Allied Signal has bought more than a few people new engines because the Frams came

apart and pieces of them plugged oil passages and the engine took a powder.

Well, lets see the evidence.

What's the defect percentage for Fram? For the others?

How many catastrophic failures have there been?

What percentage is considered too high?

Just because you saw it on someones blog doesn't make it real evidence.

And don't call me dumb. We can disagree but we don't insult people around here.

I didn't call you dumb, I called your statement dumb. That was my intent anyway,

if it came across otherwise I apologize.

Cut one open or look at pics from people who have. Simple fact is that there are much better

filters available for the same money (Motorcraft) or less (SuperTech, STP). To get a decent

quality Fram you have to step up to a ToughGuard which costs almost double what you'll pay for a Motorcraft but it isn't any better. Oh, and the "Autolite" filters at Wal-Mart are just relabeled Frams and painted white.

And your filter engineering credentials are? What are the advantages / disadvantages

of the various construction methods? I have no such credentials, but I do engineer other

things, and know that things are seldom so black and white.

How much better than "good enough" does a filter have to be in order to be good enough?

You have no idea what I spent on my filters, or if they were a better value or not.

Bottom line, the short version:

Best filter for the money: Motorcraft

A little better filter for a little more money: Wix, NAPA Gold, Purolator PureONE

Best filter: Mobil 1, K&N

Based on what? It's the popular opinion on bitog or some other blog?

What about Amsoil, or ...

Most of this "evidence" is just as ancedotal as my own personal experience.

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I must stand by my initial assertion:

Your statement makes such a sweeping overgeneralization that it is just dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts