Strange happenings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here in Dallas it is 28 and my ST needed thawed out to safely drive. While it was warming up the headlights/taillights kept coming on and off randomly. Could this be a bad relay?

Do I need to look for something else gone haywire?

Thanks

David

Do you have an alarm ? Day time running lights ? auto lights ?

Todd Z

Dave,

Unless you installed them, you do not have Day Time Running Lights. The switch on the mirror is for the auto headlights.

Tom

It could simply be that you did not have the switch off like you think you did. I am not trying to call you dumb or anything, but there is that possibility.

Do your headlights come on by themselves when you drive at night?

If it only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does it on a regular basis, then I would be worried.

Tom

My lights don't normally come on until I rotate the switch. My auto light function is definetly off. This is the only time I've had to thaw ice off it.. I left it running about 5-8 minutes when the headlights and taillights began coming on and off. They would come on for about 30 seconds and then go off for 1-2 minutes then repeat. I killed the truck and then came back inside for another cup of coffee. I then went out and recranked and it did the same thing again.

Caymen,

I didn't take it that you thought I was stupid. It had been over 3 yrs since I turned the switch off and I was thinking it was for daytime running lights.

David

Cool Dave.

Try turning on the switch for the autoheadlights and see if it does the same thing.

Tom