Strange transmission issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Crockett

Reaction score
Had a strange (and new to me) experience on my way home from work on Saturday ('04 ST). Everything was normal (parking lot and short-distance surface streets, nothing over 20 MPH) until I got on the freeway frontage road. I got up to ~25 MPH, ~3000 RPM, and no more. The transmission felt like it was searching for the next gear, but couldn't find anything. I was able to get off the frontage road on to nearly-empty surface streets and into a parking lot. Everything seemed normal, so I got back on the road, but nothing had changed. I tried turning off the over-drive, but still nothing changed. I then decided to try shifting down into 2nd to see what that might do.

That's when it happened. The gear select moved from apparently halfway between N and D into D. Everything has worked flawlessly since. So my question is: Why does the transmission work for 1st and 2nd gears when I'm halfway into Neutral, but none of the other gears work? (I have been paying extra attention since then to make sure I don't do that again :wacko: !

Thanks in advance for any input/instruction.

The indicator on the dash is merely a cable driven needel....

The actual electronics are attached to the lever and on the transmission.....

Sounds like the 2 are not playing nice with each other...

Todd Z