Stroker 4.6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Been looking for more torque to tow with for my STA. Seems there are some good resources out there to stroke the 4.6 to a 5.0. Either as a 298ci (no overbore) or 302ci (.020" overbore).

It also appears that the coyote 5.0 is basically just that, a stroked 4.6.

A 5.4 is a decked and stroked 4.6, essentially.

I'm not a fan of supercharging or turbocharging for towing (EB 3.5 an exception, designed for it from scratch)

Anyone here done this?

I think a stroker kit would be an easier way than swapping a Coyote and the 5.4 swap posted here seemed to be a bust.

Easy peasy to stroke a chevy 383 out of a 350, but these newer engines... Hmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the potential electronics issues a Coyote swap would seem more practical and reliable. The F-150 version is, as you say, "designed for it".

Just because the "Motor" makes more power for towing, the brakes, Frame, transmission are all the same.

I suggest getting an F150, or Maybe Just swapping a set of gears ( go to 4:11) or 3:73 if you want a little more bottom end.

Sounds like you asking too much from the ST.

Todd Z

The STA is rated to tow 6,900#. I tow 6,000#. The OHC V8 makes it's torque too high. Has anyone changed the rear end? It's sort of unique to the ST being IRS. is a 3:73 avail for this one? I honestly haven't looked.

I like my ST, perfect sized truck.

The brakes and Frame are stout and up to the task. I have towed with this truck thousands of miles.

The Transmission is the same as the F150.

3:73 is the STOCK gears in any gen 2 v6..... Can get a complete set up and bolt in...

the 8.8 is not that special, they make 4:11 for them and many people have had them installed..

Todd Z

Ditto on the rear gears. If latter you want more. Do bolt ons, engine work and tuning. Not enough, then invest in the exspensive stuff.

I see your STA is AWD which means you would need to change gears in the front differential as well. Based on Todd's comment 3.73's should be available for both front and rear, not sure about 4.10's for the front diff but that ratio was available from the factory for the Ranger, assuming it used the same size front axle. My guess would be that the front is a Dana 44 but that's just a guess. Changing gears in both ends might start to fall into the "expensive stuff" category and going from the stock 3.55:1 to 3.73:1 would not be much of a change. You could probably duplicate that by just switching to a smaller diameter tire but at the expense of less ground clearance. Going to 4.10:1 would gain a more noticeable improvement in grunt but would probably hurt fuel mileage a little more.

Oh, and don't forget that any change in gear ratio will require a modification to your computer programming to correct the speedometer. It's not as simple as changing a gear on the end of the speedo cable anymore...

Latest posts