Stuck In 4WD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 105,000 miles. For the last five years I have had this problem. I only use 4WD approximately 2 times or 50 miles each year. The truck immediately engages into 4wd. However, it takes approximately 1 mile of driving to disengage from 4wd. I replaced the Transfer Case motor assuming it was the problem last week. However, it still has a major delay. I am in the process of replacing the 4 X 4 Shift Module. I have put the truck in reverse and backed up 10 feet and still the vehicle does not disengage. I am hoping it is the module. Does anyone believe it could be a bad ground. The strange thing is that it immediately engages. Some people say this is normal. However, I am told it should disengage in about 3 to 5 seconds. Can anyone provide input.

When you switch from 4L to 2H do you switch into 4H first wait then switch into 2H? I always switch it when I'm in neutral and completely stopped. I always have the overdrive turned off as well. I have noticed that it sometimes takes longer to change from 4L to 4H then to 2H if I don't have the truck completely stopped.

I too have '01 w/105,000+ miles. When disengaging, are you going from 4H or 4L? If 4L, I've never had problem if stopped, with brake pedal depressed, and trans in neutral. Having brake down seems to make big difference.

Put it in 4wd.... Take it out..... Then stop shut off thew truck and re start is it still stuck in ???

Todd Z

I installed a new 4 X 4 shift modiule from Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas on Ebay. The part was $120. It took me about 15 minutes to install. The truck now instantly goes out of 4WD after turning the dash knob and the problem is fixed. This problem has been going on for at least 5 years. I am told that many Sport Trac owners have encountered similar problems. The original module made by Motorola for Ford has a major design flaw. If the battery terminal is reconnected a power surge is created that effects the electronics in the module. The new modules have a design change the prevents the reoccurence of this problem. The Gaudin Ford dealer has sold 38 of these on Ebay during the last two months. My problem occured after I installed a new battery 5 years ago. Ford should of recalled this item, due to the defect. Anyway, I am glad the problem is resolved. I was tired driving doen the road at least one mile to change the 4WD to 2WD. I hope this helps other Sport Trac owners to diagnose there problem.

Hey - i'm interested in getting one. what is the ebay user i.d..?

Why not give a sponsor a shot at the sale. He can get just about anything the dealer can sell. It might even be cheaper than feebay.

Tom

I've used Gaudin Ford of Las Vegas before via eBay. I don't know how they can sell those 4x4 modules so cheaply.

Latest posts