Stupid Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay... I have a 2007 ST LTD 4.0 V6.... whats the best type of engine oil to use??

Regular, Synthetic Blend, or Synthetic?? Also...any good brands?? I wanna do it myself to save a little money

thanks for the help

For general or regular duty service. Motorcraft syn-blend and motorcraft filters are very good. Economical also.

not stupid...

I use full synthetic in my '02 V6, and change it at 15k miles. 147,000 miles. cheaper inthe long run, same protection. If you going to change at 3,000, use regular dino oil. anything more is a waste of $$$, IMHO..

There have been oil studies that show synthetic can go an extremely long time when additive via top offs are made at each 3-5K filter changes. Go with a fill synthetic and a good oil filter (NOT FRAM) Purolator or such and you'll have no trouble.

not a stupid question no such thing we have a fleet of vehicles used amsoil when it was in its hayday but we had a guy come check the oil in our vehicles once a month to tell us if it was time to change or not "maybe frank can help with that " used a syn in my diesel and thinking about it in my st 5 bucks a quart 15000 miles seems like a equal trade what do you guys think?

I have used full synthetic oil (Mobil-1) in my last 4 new vehicles with excellent results. I had a 2001 Sport Trac and changed to synthetic oil at 10K miles. I had a 2003 Saturn Ion and used synthetic oil in that from the first oil change, again I had excellent results.

I traded in my 2001 Sport Trac for a new 2003 Sport Trac and switched to syntheitc oil at the first oil change. and finally, I just bought a new 2008 Mercedes Benz which comes from the factory with Mobil-1 synthetic oil and only requires oil changes, 1 per year or every 13K miles If it';s good enough for Mercedes Benz, it should be good enough for Ford, Chevy or any other brand of vehicle.

If you do go with synthetic oil with the extended oil change intervals, you need to buy a quality filter that will work for the full extended change interval.

If you change the oil every 10K-15K miles you doj not have to add any additional additives to the oil.

Royal Purple and Amsol make excellent products, however for a daily driver vehicle I don't think the added cost and inconvenience finding those products are necessary.

A goo quality synthetic oil that you can easily purchase almost anywhere, and one that is available at the local lube or service centers is a better choice. I chose Mobil-1 for that reason and I think Mercedes Benz making the same choice confirms that it must be an excellent quality synthetic oil.

If you buy some exotic oil you may find it difficult to find which may delay your oil change and they probably are not any better for 10K-15K miles of use than any over the counter synthetic oils available anywhere.

...Rich