Suggested Towing Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Clazie 2

Reaction score
We just purchased a Flagstaff 23LB - ~3600lbs dry weight. I'm using a weight distributing hitch, and pulling with a 2001 4x4 automatic. The Trac is outfitted with a canopy top as well. The 23LB pulls pretty well - running around 2750 RPMs on level ground with O/D on at 100 km/hr. However, when the wind comes up it's hard to keep it up to 90km/h. The fuel mileage is horrible - not a big surprise there...

i've scanned through most of the towing posts here before making the purchase, so I'm comfortable with the capability of the ST for towing. However, I'm just wondering what recommendations people may have to help make the towing experience a little better. For example - any upgrades for fuel economy, a wind deflector on the canopy to reduce wind resistance, etc?

TIA!

I think long term your biggest problem will be the tranny.

Might look into larger cooler or an Aux cooler.

Also a PML oversize tranny pan with temp output, an a flush if you have not done so, good luck.

Definately keep an eye on the transmission as bill stated. In addition, I have found one of these to be well worth the $. Can find em' cheaper on eBay or similar.

Makes the ride and worry lots better too.

You might want to look into a xcal programer. You can get various programs. One for towing for that extra torque. See one of our 2 sponsors fast parts or bama.

MAG-HYTEC'S heavy duty differential covers and transmission pans provide increased lubricant and cooling capacity for hard working recreational and service vehicles. MAG-HYTEC covers and pans set your vehicle apart in both aesthetics and function - cast in A356-T6 aluminum and texture powder coated black with machined cooling fins. Magnetic drain plugs trap worn gear material promoting fluid integrity. Each unit is fitted with ARP 568 O-rings for superior sealing. All hardware is 303 stainless steel, in most applications no gasket or sealant is required, and all MAG-HYTEC parts are covered by a lifetime limited warranty. Depend on MAG-HYTEC when you're pulling a heavy load.

a tranny cooler is a must, as well as a fliud flush and change with motorcraft mercon V fluid, after every seasson, imo... I get 10-11 mpg towing mine (see lib), and i've had headwinds sooooo bad, i couldn't get to 55mph with the foot on the floor... I upgraded to LT tires, and that made a world of difference in the handling... need to tow with the OD off, tho... send pics!!

Latest posts