suggestions on suspicious sound plzz

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Hey guys.. got a bit of a problem with my '03 XLT 4x4

I've been hearing a knocking sound coming from the back end of my trac lately. the best I can describe it as is a louder version of the "knock" that happens when you have your heater or AC running.

At first, in the warmer weather it was very intermittent. Now its becoming more and more frequent. It sounds as if it is coming from the driver's side. It usually happens when I am going around a corner or accelerating from a dead stop. It also occurs when I go over a small bump. It doesn't do it ALL the time, but it is quite consistent.

I got under the truck and had my friend rock it from left to right and jump on the rear bumper, but the sound could not be replicated that way.

Im confused as hell and don't even know where to begin with this? :blink::huh:

On a level surface, parking brake set and wheels chocked, put it in neutral and rock the drive shaft back and forth see how much play you have in the U-joint as Ray said, or perhaps in the ring and pinion. (rear diff.) I would think that once either of the parts start to go bad, the sound would not be intermittent.

If more so around corners, I would tend suspect Rear diff, or perhaps a rear axle bearing or race.

My .02. Dave

Sway bar end links? OP mentioned going over bumps... I've had to replace the bushings several times now, and I know there's a problem when I start to hearing a knocking in the rear area. End links themselves are about $15 from Ford, and include the newer poly bushings that my original ones did not('03 ST 4x4, but built in 9/02).

Last edited by a moderator:
i half suspect it to be the end links. that was my first thought too. I would think it would make a bit more of a fuss (and quite regularly) if it were the rear diff or the u joint? is that a correct assumption?

shaun, it's your end links. Mine would do the same thing when it would go side to side. Got them from Ford. Check out the projects section, I did a write-up about how to change them. You will see in the picture, the difference between the one's on an '03 and the one's I got from Ford. Mine has started making noise again, this time it's a squeek and after lubing them, it doesn't help. I may have to do them again, but I'm going to get the Moog ones from Advance auto for $20 each and see if they hold up better. The Moog's come with Poly bushings.;)

I had the loose endlink problem after attempting to install 3 in. drop blocks in the rear. After I reassembled everything, I took it out for a drive and noticed a rattle especially when going over bumps. I had my son stand on the rear bumper and had him jump up and down. I went under the rear end and found that the sound was coming from the rt. rear endlink. All I did was tighten up the bolt holding the sway bar to the endlink and problem solved.

Not sure if you have the same problem though....Hopefully it's an easy fix.