Super six?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris MacAdams 2

Reaction score
Hypathetically, how hard would it be to order a 4.0 short block w/ forged internals from super six motorsports, have it installed and then throw a x-charger on it? Is this even possible?

Can be done if you have all the special tools to assemble the heads and timing components..

I dont think the sell them assembled...

Many ranger and explorer owners have done that..

Todd Z

What if i could find a shop to do the install? do you think it could be done for less than 12k? im thinking of just making my own SVT sport trac since they scrubbed that project

The block is like $4,000 and the heads are another $2,000.

You need an engine shop to assemble with new timing and seals, whatnot, maybe $2,000

Then the swap labor and additional parts to do it right, $2,000

Then the S/C at $4,500

I think paying some else to do all the work is about $15K out the door, with a rental car and S/C install labor...

Just a rough estimate, IT may be high, but it is not cheap..

Todd Z

Building your engine block then throwing the x-charger would be like building a race suspension but using a stock motor. The x-charger kit uses the m62 which in short is not a big enough blower for the 4.0. You would atleast need an m90. But if your going to drop that kind of money and do that kind of custom work you are better off doing a turbo for the same price with a lot more horsepower.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do plan on doing this, do a serious search for a shop that will put the motor together. I've looked and know of someone who has a shop, noone I have spoken to (down here)speaks highly of the 4.0 as a project/rebuild motor. It can and has been done, but do your homework first.

You could put a 5.0 from an explorer in your ST for a 1/3 of what that V-6 will cost you. And have over 100 times the aftermarket parts availability than you will for a 4.0.