supercharger q?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an adapter out there to mate the M-112 blower from the 03-04 Cobra to the 3.8, But nothing I am aware for the 4.0.

Todd Z

Woppy,

There is a guy on ExplorerForums selling that kit, SC, everything needed to bolt on a 5.5PSI supercharger for $2k.

It will work, but after speaking at length with Doug from Bamachips about that setup, he did not recommend it, as power gains were negligible (this is on the Rangers mind you) and the reliability was questionable vs. the EE kit.

It's possible and it's been done. You will have to fab most of the parts you need including the intake and I believe the sc will be mounted upside down. Moreover there is at least one case where an Eaton m-110 (Ford Lightning) charger was installed on a 4.0 producing around 370hp and it's a daily driver. No other mods were done to the motor.

As for the link, he regularly sells his kit on ebay, and he's really "polished" it since he started. His reputation for the kit is fairly solid.

Thanks Jeff. I am gonna do some additional research. The EE is just to damn expensive for me to ever justify purchasing one... at that price I'd rather just swap engines or go buy another car altogether.

Thanks Spaceman Spiff ~ good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Like I said, if you decide to go with it, there's a guy selling everything (including the supercharger and solid intake tube, not that dryer hose) for $2k shipped.

Just buy a totaled 99-01 Explorer with the V-8 and swap motors and trannys. It is a bolt in fit, including the wire harness.

This is my next project when the 4.0 goes.

Chad

Bill, the 5.0 is an "almost" straight bolt in when coming out of a complete 99-01 Explorer. It'll be by far the easiest swap available to the ST, and can be done with almost entirely stock Ford parts, minus the driveshaft which can most likely be modified. The motor only has 5 more HP, but considerably more torque. With a few bolt-ons like Torque Monster headers, intake spacer and roller rockers you'll have a very fun to drive ST.

From what I have read from the guys who have done the mod, they only needed a stock motor mount on the drivers side and a modified drive shaft. And then take it 1 step further you can get a transfer case from an F150 to get a selectable 4x4 which eliminates the front drive shaft from always spinning when in 2wd. Then you have to cut a hole to mount the handle.

Here is a message that I was sent in regards to his v-8 swap.

hey man, sorry its taken me a bit to get back to you. I've been spending almost every night at work trying to finish the swap. I would have to say the hardest part of the swap was getting my X emptied out. I removed the radiator first, followed by the engine. Then the driveshafts and disconnected the wiring to the trans and the exaust. I removed the trans and transfer case in one piece. The wiring has to be the most intimidating part but it wasn't that bad once I got started. I removed the brake booster(it has to changed to the V8 one anyway) and unbolted the distribution block. This gives you access to the 3 square plugs that connect the whole front wiring harness to the rest of the truck. Then I just worked my way around the truck following the harness and removing anything that kept the harness from comming out.The harness is connected to everything on the front of the truck including the headlights, ABS sensors, airbag sensors, fog lights,ect...

Then I took all of the parts from the donor vehicle which was a 98 monutaineer AWD. The driverside motor mount is different and also the rear driveshaft is longer since its a 4 door. Instead of having the rear V8 driveshaft shortened like SPORTY99 said he did, I just swaped the transfer case mounting flange from the V8 to the already shorter one from my sport. The V8 radiator is also different and the AC condensor in front of the radiator.

Everything just bolts in once the wiring and engine mounts are changed. Total cost so far has been:

wrecked 98 mountaineer with 100k on the clock-$495 from an online auction.

upper intake gasket set for the 5.0- $25

2 new u-joints for drive shaft- $10 each

EVERYTHING else has been taken from the donor!

Another piece of advice is to use a X if you have a choice. I didn't find out that the Mountaineers only have 2 plugs on the harness for each side of the headlights until I tried to hook up the headlights on my X. Explorers have 4 plugs per side! Hope this takes some of the mystery out of it and feel free to ask me any more questions. I should hopefully have it running this weekend!

Sounds like a bolt in swap to me...

And as far as only 5 hp difference there are 100 times more performance parts to increase HP and torque for the 5.0 than the 4.0. So getting a 300hp 5.0 is not difficult, and 300hp plus the HUGE torque increase will make the ST move very well.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '94 GT. I used a base motor of the 240hp cobra 5.0L(302 ci for us old guys). Very little work and a tune, I had 376hp naturaly aspirated. No power adder.