supercharger?...worth it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey Peck

Reaction score
so ive been looking into the supercharger kits from explorer express and i was wondering if anybody has one installed or if they know anybody who has one. Is it worth the $4400? Is it worth even if the biggest difference is just that whine?

There was 1 or 2 members who had it, and I don't recall it being reliable enough to make it worth the money.

Do a search and you might find more. There are other costs that go along with just buying/having the SC installed. It's a must to have an XCal and from what I've read you need to have it dyno tuned on top of that. So figure in another $1000. So for $5500, you might as well take the ST and trade it in for a F150 Lightning :)

You will find WAY more negatives over positives when it comes to the Trac. For some reason, very few have had decent success and it has cost them a small fortune. I have yet to read where someone added it and was done...

They have added it and then either had to rebuild or replace major components up to and including the engine itself.

I beleive vigilantes has one on his trac so maybe he will chime in. He spent a full day (8 hours) at the dyno if I remember correctly. Coastie I remember that guy, he put a smaller pulley on his s/c and that caused him to damage the motor to the point where he could only get it to run on 5 cylinders. I think it puts down 275hp to the ground when finished. If your willing to do it right and spent the extra time and the money to get it tuned properly then yeah, go for it. Hope this helps. You can pick up Lightnings pretty cheap on Ebay... :D

I have made my decision that starting in Spring 08 I will be either doing a V8 swap in my ST or I will get a salvaged V6 engine from an ST or Explorer and sending it to supersixmotorsports and have a 300hp V6 built.

Chad