supercharger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it went kaboom because in mid 02 ford started using HT pistons.

the tune was not right, we got some detonation at WOT and cracked 3 pistons, end of story.

The ones that held together ( new motor and non hyperutectic pistons) are 300-400 HP range with meth injection for cooling...

The Straight bolt on application is good and will work, BUT it seems people want to put on other things and smaller pulleys and thats when the 4.0 calls it quits !!!!

Todd Z

The 75 nitrous shot, that my son decided on doing, i think on top of the 296 may have contributed to the issue he had:eek:

IF you simply install it and DON'T play with it and get it dyno tuned after the install you should be ok...

IF you want it bullet proof and want to make a little more HP, then yes.... I know there are new 4.0 motors with better internals for sale, but they are $4,500 just for the block....

OUCH !!!

Cheaper to drop in a v8 and make some serious power !!!

If I get where I am looking, I have a 351 ( 427 stroked, 600+ HP) that my ST will see in about 2 years....

Todd Z

Graham,

If you really want to spend the big bucks, I believe this is the 4.0 to which Todd Z is referring:

IF you simply install it and DON'T play with it and get it dyno tuned after the install you should be ok...

So if we have simple mods like a Zabteck TB, MAF housing, etc., it should be OK? What about canned tunes from say, Torrie or Bamachips. EE still has a partnership with Bamachips on the SC. I presume that Doug is providing "canned" tunes for a basically "bolt-on" SC setup, correct?

Regarding the $4500.00 4.0 shortblock, they claim they only use "seasoned, new" blocks. How do you "season" a block while it's still new?

Leave it out in the weather for two yrs, no joke.

Or heat it in a huge oven, let it cool and do that several times, before machening it.

Quote:

"So if we have simple mods like a Zabteck TB, MAF housing, etc., it should be OK? What about canned tunes from say, Torrie or Bamachips. EE still has a partnership with Bamachips on the SC. I presume that Doug is providing "canned" tunes for a basically "bolt-on" SC setup, correct?"

Canned tunes are fine with the EE kit but I went with a custom dyno tune due to idling problems I had.

id love to do the supercharger, but its not that great of a gain for the giant amount....

like todd said, it would be better to drop a V8 in there...

if you dont care bout ford...

if it could fit LS1 corvette motors are beasts!

345HP

350 TQ

seen them go from $1500-3000

tranny seen for around $500-2000 (i woundnt get the $500 one lol)

way more power, and cheaper depending on what u can find them in ur area for.

now, my motor just needs to go boom so i can get one lol

in my eyes its a better way to go...

u could do the 427 ford racing motor or the 427 corvette motor

but i dunno if itll fit or the cost of the motors

and if your gonna go that big...

440 or just a crate motor from JEGS