Sway bar link bushings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hi folks, I want to replace the sway bar link bushings. Looking through the old sets that I have, there are 3 different spacer lengths! 3.5 in, 3.25in, and 3.0in. Do you know the correct spacer length to use? The bolts and bushings will not affect the ride so much. Does anyone know where to get new spacers? I have been to eBay, Amazon, and the three parts houses on this side of the Island.
Thanks for your help Ed

Ed, I went to the local hardware store. Purchased 2 galvanized, 3/8" x 4" pipe nipples. I cut all but 2 threads off each end.
They came out perfect for my Trac at stock height. I would say the 3.5" should be about right.
I have used pipe nipple's for years on different cars. When I played with height adjustments. They were cheaper than regular end-link hardware. Plus I could make a more precision length. The last 3 cars before the Trac. I lowered them 1.5 to 2".

universal-end-link-diagram.jpg

Energy Suspension Sway Bar End Links​

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-sway-bar-end-links.asp

Ed, I went to the local hardware store. Purchased 2 galvanized, 3/8" x 4" pipe nipples. I cut all but 2 threads off each end.
They came out perfect for my Trac at stock height. I would say the 3.5" should be about right.
I have used pipe nipple's for years on different cars. When I played with height adjustments. They were cheaper than regular end-link hardware. Plus I could make a more precision length. The last 3 cars before the Trac. I lowered them 1.5 to 2".
Great Hack! Thanks! Especially when I have front and rear!

Ten years and counting.
Steve,
I'm using the black poly's with the moog hardware. The moog blue plastic bushings crumbled. I didn't like the fit of the moog spacer. So I made my own from the pipe nipples. I cant remember how many years. All is still good. Seems you and I were doing this about the same time.

I used old (still in good shape) shock, rubber bushings instead of the standard smaller diameter sway bar link bushings. I went through sway bar link bushings so fast. I figured the stock smaller diameter, away bar bushings are unable to support due to the smaller size.
As soon as I can I'll upload images.

Latest posts