T-case Lube Again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
As we know, I am a big proponent of changing fluids. Changed the transfer case lube today since I hit 90k this week. I change it every 30k. Today I put in Redline D4 ATF instead of the usual Mobil 1 ATF since I had some left from the gallon I bought to fill the new tranny in my son's Mustang (long story, 3rd tranny in 3 years, at least this one was on warranty).

I've owned a few Rangers and two Sport Tracs, t-case lube always came out the first time at 30k looking like tar. Until now I never changed more than once because I didn't keep them that long. At 60k the lube still looked a little pink, today it drained out looking practically like new except for the metallic bits. Possibly the early wear is greater and it slows down after a while. I dunno. Just thought I'd report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil analysis of the used Mobil 1 fluid would give some indication of how it held up. I think your 30K interval is smart.

Ford does not recommend the use of ATF fluid in the transfer case. Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid is recommended instead.

Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid

Usage

For use in transfer cases driving front axles on all-wheel-drive (AWD) and 4x4 vehicles

Not for use in automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, power take off units (PTU), fluid couplers or AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle

Features

Premium-quality fluid for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury transfer cases

Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives

Provides increased protection against deposit, rust, corrosion and wear

Maintains proper viscosity at extreme temperatures

Recommended by Ford Motor Company

Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, however the transfer case is no different than the ones in my previous trucks and they all spec'd Mercon ATF.

Latest posts