T-shift transfer case and the A4od

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
This question is completely unrelated to the sport trac other than I hope it could go in mine....

I would like to use the explorer v8's a4od transmission with a bronco "t shift transfer case" and I have not been able to find any info on weather this is possible or not possible if it can "bolt right up" or if a lot of modification is required. what is i am going on is that some version of the a40d was used in the bronco but I don't know if some major change happened in the a4od's history from the modern electronic version I hope to use and the more mechanical version from back in the day.

As all ways thanks for the info...:D

-Don D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a V-8 engine to bolt it up to, unless advance adapters makes a kit. Explorer owners take the AWD t-case out and use the F-150 manual shift t-case.

if you refer to all my other ridiculous posts that these guys are nice enough to answer the v8 is the major purpose of the whole thing... though I dont want to jinx anything but it could probably be ordered next Thursday...:lol:

is there any reason why the bronco case would not work?

...or rather would anyone know where I could find out?

it just seems to not have been done and I was sort of guessing it was because the linkage for the f150 was easier to put through the floor, was more common and more recent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i have aswered my own question... I found a site on how to put a aode transmission (which I believe is the same in the 1998 up v8 5.0 explorer) in an older bronco and replacing the transfer case was not mentioned just that the t case was moved backwards a few inches requiring new drive shafts so perhaps then forwards compatibility of the t case is also true...