tail gate light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry tanner

Reaction score
what size light will fit on the back of the truck on the bumper. 49 or 60 inch? looking to buy one but need size. to make sure i get the right one.

thanks

hdt

You need a 49", use 3M molding tape and mount it on the bottom edge of the tailgate for best look. Check out my library for pictures how I had mine mounted. Also seal both ends buyer with black windshield sealant to protect the circuit board from salt and moisture from killing it.

a word or caution: not all brands will still allow the tailgate to operate properly or fully if mounted to the bottom on tailgate, just thought I'd caution you from experience on our son's '05 ST. He's had 3 light strips on his, 2 of one brand & now the one that interferes w/the tailgate operating, he just uses the lid of the tonneau cover to gain access to the bed for now.

How did he mount his lightbar?? I've done it twice with two different brands. I put 3M molding tape on the backside edge of the bottom of the tailgate and mounted the bar right to it. The second ones was after the bodylift, I removed the plastic piece behind the bottom of the tailgate, it made more room for the bar. There's a strip that has a notch in it for the spare tire winch, it's held in place by a couple clips, just remove that and you won't have any interference with tailgate operation.

Jerry, I typed a reply to you last weeknd & thought I hit reply, but I don't see it here now, sorry.

We put the 3m tape all along the back of the light strip, it's basically a " L" shape, so tape on the back portion of the " L" & the light [small portion of " L"] is below the bottom edge of his tailgate. And when he goes to let the tailgate down it now drags & begins to take the light strip off. I'm assuming it's drags on that plastic piece that you say you removed. We weren't aware it would come off & haven't check about doing so.

His first two light strips didn't drag, but this one is a different brand. His first two were red lense, his third one is a clear lense w/red bulbs when lit, he likes that aspect better. The red lense faded bad & quickly. And a faded red doesn't end up clear! But more of a yellow.

We'd even thought of buying shorter straps that hold the tailgate when down, just haven't gotten around to it, where the tailgate wouldn't come completely down all the way. We don't haul much stuff w/our ST's. We have a hitch-haul or a 6x10 utility trailer for such.

I mounted mine to the bumper, as per the project linked below. That way, it doesn't interfere with tailgate operation or tailgate removal.

Train Trac, my son's wasn't the Line of Fire brand, it was a different brand & we thought about that though, but then in order to do that w/3m tape & have something for it to adhere to his light bar is upside down & the left & right turn signals would be opposite.

We'll figure something out as a remedy. Jerry's idea or mine one.

On 8/25 I'd only just made mention of what we'd ran into more so as a word of caution in reply to hdt's post.

Latest posts