Tailgate beef-up cables

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
I posted a message concerning the strength of the tailgate. Thanks to all that replied. Nonetheless, I decided to "strengthen" the tailgate cables by adding a set of secondary cables. A few years ago, I added an additional set of cable posts (added to the cargo bed) in order to place the tailgate in a 45 degree positon. This allows me to carry plywood in a "level" position, with the plywood flat with the top of the wheel wells and tailgate. So, since I already have those permanet posts, I order two sets (one set is a pair of cables) of cables (Ford F-250) which includes tailgate attachment bolts. I plan on attaching the new attachment bolts to the tailgate (just aft of the latch), and using the "clip" end of each cable. The two cables will be connected with a cable connector, ensuring that all cables are snug when the tailgate is open. I know that this may seem to be overkill, but I'm concerned about a cable hook or clip coming off during heavy uses. When I don't need this strength, the extra cable set will be completly removed. Cost was just under $40. I'll try to post a picture when completed. My cable sets just arrived.

Sounds good, BUT I think the week point in the system is the metal of the tailgate and the mounting points in the plastic bed....

Todd Z