Tailgate power lock install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
Last weekend I installed a power lock actuator on the tailgate of my 07 Sporttrac. Now the tailgate locks/unlocks with the keyless remote. The install was a bit more work than the same project on my earlier Gen 1's. I

I don't know why it is not factory equipment or an option. With a tonneau cover it is a must-have.

Steve

Nice, I'm 1/2 though my install. I've got the actuator mounted, just need to finish the wiring

I just bought a generic lock actuator off ebay for about $6 after shipping and made it work.. There is a project to help with the wiring, but unless you can find the same exact actuator that part of the install is always going to vary a little.

It probably took me 1 1/2 hours to install, it's been a few years, but I remember having to mess with positioning of the actuator and the linkage for awhile to get it to work consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one on my '01 and put one on my '08 in june of '08 and I just had the tailgate not unlock this winter / spring. I had it in the dealer for other work and had them look at it. They told me the power lock I added had rusted and was not moving far enough out of the way to unlock the tailgate. They were able to tie wrap it so that it works again. I have not been home long enough to look at it myself. Just a heads up. I never had an issue with the one from my '01.

Anyone got a link to the inexpensive locks? All I have found are around $100 plus.

Here's the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER-DOOR-LOCK-88-00-Civic-CONTROL-MODULE-ACTUATOR_W0QQitemZ170469091453QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33723QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8694326610470942036

Latest posts