Tell me the differences? Gen Two (1995-2002) Exporer VS Gen One Sport Trac 2000-2005

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GO BILLS Jake

Reaction score
Hello my name is Jake and I'm addicted to Sport Tracs (group replys "HI JAKE") and as I research for my youngest sons first car I've found a 1998 Explorer, higher mileage, no rust, mint interior, one parent owner in amazing shape with the 4.0 liter "E" engine. PLEASE NOTE - we just completed a top end rebuild on my oldest son's 2002 Sport Trac V-6 with that same engine (working amazingly BTW) so I'm trying to keep it in the family and be able to work on this SUV the same way I work on my son's Sport Trac. In reviewing the Ford history engineers built the Explorer off the Range.

Long time members please tell me I'm missing something? Is this 4.0 "E" engine the same the factory used for the Gen One ST? For that price PLEASE tell me why I shouldn't scoop this up for my youngest son and welcome him into the "Blue Oval" family? Thank you in advance for your help as this group has been AMAZING in guidance provided. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot (163).png
    Screenshot (163).png
    166.1 KB · Views: 70
V6~4.0L~SOHC short blocks should be interchangable 1997~2011,
various items were "improved\upgraded" thru the years,
such as the front LeafSpringTimingTensioner & left+right OilPressurizedTimingTensioners.
Long block upper accessories, such as the IntakeManifold & OilFilter are defintely different.
Early 4WD SOHC engines had a BalanceShaft; that was deleted after 2002 or so.

5r55e Tranny early versions thru 2000 have no IntermediatSpeedSensor\ISS & OutputSpeedSensor\OSS.
5r55e Tranny later versions 2001+ have the ISS+OSS; can be used disconnected in earlier vehicles.
5r55e Tranny 2WD & 4WD versions have different OutputShafts & are not interchangable.

Suspect you're already aware of most of the various weaknesses & notorious failure items
on these engines & transmissions.

Last edited:
The block is the same. There are some minor changes between years like intake manifold and head design.

V6~4.0L~SOHC short blocks should be interchangable 1997~2011,
various items were "improved\upgraded" thru the years,
such as the front LeafSpringTimingTensioner & left+right OilPressurizedTimingTensioners.
Long block upper accessories, such as the IntakeManifold & OilFilter are defintely different.
Early 4WD SOHC engines had a BalanceShaft; that was deleted after 2002 or so.

5r55e Tranny early versions thru 2000 have no IntermediatSpeedSensor\ISS & OutputSpeedSensor\OSS.
5r55e Tranny later versions 2001+ have the ISS+OSS; can be used disconnected in earlier vehicles.
5r55e Tranny 2WD & 4WD versions have different OutputShafts & are not interchangable.

Suspect you're already aware of most of the various weaknesses & notorious failure items
on these engines & transmissions.
Thank you! A lot of great info (as always) and truly appreciated!

Ok so clearly the “K” engine is harder to find than the “E” in my area. Project truck getting a power plant swap and the yard sends an Explorer SUV engine………WRONG. Could tell from the pic and not going to chance it.

My favorite site “Carpartsdotcom” had a listing in Mass, bought it, shipping Friday and should have old engine pulled by then. Already looking for the next one. I mean it’s just money, right?😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣👍🏻

Ok so who has a “K” engine for my 2004 ST? Two yards, paid two invoices and once pulled both engines were found to have issues (water damage and hole in the block.)

In SE PA and searching VT and OH next. Anyone have a spare they are looking to part with?

www.car-part.com

Or if you do Facebook, there are people posting on the forum there with parts..

www.car-part.com

Or if you do Facebook, there are people posting on the forum there with parts..
Thanks Todd, the car-parts site is where I found my two already. Now calling yard after yard to make sure its a sport trac K with the coil pack in the rear and not an explorer K. What a pain in the neck this has been. Once it's done I'm going to start rebuilding just K engines for a side hustle.

been dealing with k code for a 04 for a year, and remans are 3500 from a couple name builders, both i read from guys on here that got them, both are 3 to 5 weeks out. i have found a couple 04s that got hit on craigs with 150 ish k miles for around a grand. i past them up and regretting it. i have 2 back in oregon that are copart trucks with one at 65k but from west virginia to oregon and back is a drive. craigslist is a risk but so is a junk yard. if i go to oregon i am bringing both trucks and will sell other engine with 125k miles to help pay for cost and give a lot parts away as i do not have room for 2 whole trucks, both are front hub damage. one is 04 and a 05.

Latest posts