Temp. display not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fixing a few things on my sister-n-laws ST. Well her overhead display that displays the temperature & compass is no longer working. I have checked the fuses and can not find a blown fuse. She has installed an aftermarket Kenwood stereo. I am assuming the connection to the display is tied in with the radio? If not, does anyone have any idea what else I can check. This use to be my ST and it makes me sad that it is in this bad shape. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, David.

Press the "Mode" button a few times and see if that does not get it started. I tapped into the wires in the overhead console to power my radar detector mounted above my rearview mirror and my temp/compass display died too. After several months without any display I hit the Mode button, and it came on. Each time you hit the Mode button it changes the display settings and one of the Modes is "Off". That may be all that's wrong with it?

...Rich

I had a popular problem with mine, resoldering the 2 resistors on the circuit board.

You can search 4 the repair on www.seriousexplorations.com . I couldnt find how two remove the overhead console with a sunroof, I had to pull back the trim that holds the ceiling up around the sunroof and pull down the console. No sunroof, there are 2 screws to remove inside the garage door opener door.

Display is like new after the resolder job. :supercool:

Opps, I accidently hit the reply button...:angry:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Very likely, the resistors. Common in the f150 also. A freind got a pencil soldering iron from me last night. For his...

David,

Great! I'm glad it worked for you! It sure beats all the soldering of resistors, when it was just in "Off" mode..:grin:

...Rich

Old thread, but adding my two cents worth. I think pressing the Mode button is flexing the circuit board enough to tweak the bad/failing solder joints on the two surface mount resistors, to allow them to conduct again. Just a theory.

I you tubed that when mine started intermittently dropping out. I did a resolder on the points that the youtuber suggested, and have been working for years since.

Latest posts