Temp gauge not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I want to thank everyone for all their help in my previous searches, never posted before as I have never needed to, mostly I search for answers with the handy search button and I have always found my answers, but I need your help this time, okay here it goes.

I have a 2001 trac 4x4, thermostat housing had a crack on it, causing it to overheat, the day before it overheated on my wife, the temp gauge stopped working, figured out it was the housing leaking all the coolant out, replaced the housing, new thermostat, new temp sending unit and new ecm switch I think, there is 2 of them on top of the housing, everything worked like a charm except for the fact that the gauge still does not work, only stays under C and will not move, heater blows hot, I jumped the the wire and needle moves to H, so I know the connection and wire is good, but cannot figure out why the gauge just wont move, anyone have any ideas?

Is it possible that you got a bad sending unit? If the guage works by jumping it at the sending unit, then there is only one thing left.

I had to replace the sending unit on my '94 stang. It registered cold all the time. I took it back and got a good one.

Sending unit was replaced with a new one but still no luck, thermostat, sending unit ,all new but still can't get the gauge to work at this point, I may just install a after market gauge.

Check the harness at the sender wire and ecu for continuity and bare scrapes. Next check where the harness plugs in to the intrument panel.

"All this info is possiblities"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts