temperature gague / check engine HELP!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob

Reaction score
Hi All,

Merry Christmas. I was driving home last night and the check engine like on my 2001 ST came on, and I noticed the temp gague was all the way on Cold. Everything seemed to be running ok. I chanced it and kept driving (was only an hour away from home with truck full of kids and presents). This morning I went out to check it and before I put the key in, noticed the temp was just below halfway (where it usually is). As soon as I turned the key, the temp shot down to C and engine light is still on.

So here it is, Christmas morning and I am scheduled to drive up to LA from San Diego later this afternoon and of course, there is nobody open that can diagnose any potential problem.

Do you think it's safe to drive? It sure seems like just a sensor gone bad or something. Like I said, truck seems to be running fine and as far as I can tell, at normal temperature.

Feedback please!!!

thermometer could be stuck...i dont think i would drive it till i got it fixed, but thats my opinion, i'm sure others will chime in...merry christmas

I went ahead and pulled the battery cable for a while to reset the computer and it cleared the check engine light. I drove around for a bit and did see the temp gague go up ever so slightly to about 1/4 of the way between C and H. Check engine did not return. Now I am second guessing my recollection: I forget where the temp "normally" is at. <sigh>:wacko:

Anyways, just to be safe I called off my LA trip and will take it in this week.

Mine usually sits just below the picture, but with it being 40 degrees outside and with the heat on, it sits about half way between C and the picture, so yours sounds normal to me.

Is it possible your thermostat failed in the open position? Vehicle is running cold?

Not very smart when it comes to these car computers, but I would assume it would set a CEL if the engine were running to cool for to long.

gp

Cruz,

Yes, Paul's truck went almost 20K miles with the t-stat stuck open...LOL

Todd Z

Hi all,

After I cleared the CEL from this in Dec, it was fine for about a month until CEL light came on again last week.

Went to AutoZone and pulled this code:

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temp For Closed Loop Fuel Control

Searched the board for this code and nothing.

Based on previous suggestions, sounds like maybe I should start by replacing the thermostat.

Seems to only trip CEL when it's cold outside and truck is running cold.

Got this desciption from the "FAQ" section under "OBD codes".;)

P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control Indicates the ECT or CHT sensor has not achieved the required temperature level to enter closed loop operating conditions within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. Insufficient warm up time

Causes:

Low engine coolant level

Leaking or stuck open thermostat

Malfunctioning ECT sensor

Malfunctioning CHT sensor

Your probably looking at a stuck (intermittent) thermostat. Easy fix.;)