Terrible rattle noise...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
I have an 01 Sport trac and ever since i bought it in 05 (when it had 96k on it) it has made a intermittent rattle noise that occurs at start up... The noise is quite loud and seems to come form bottom of engine. the noise occurs at start up and lasts anywhere from 20sec to 1minute after starting. And a similar but much quieter rattle noise occurs at around 2700 rpm regardless.

*This last fact is why I am asking you guys and not another mechanic. Since owning the car I have heard an explorer sport and just today a sport trac making the same noise as they pulled away. -So if you guys have experience this and know what it is. or are well versed in sport trac and know that the only possible explanation is... then that would quit possibly be the best thing ever! :D

I have had many friends and mechanics look at it and have had a variety of explanations (depending on whether or not they hate ford).

1. it a really unique and terribly loud valve tap emanating from the lifters on like all of your cylinders at once. -this one dose not seem likely because i have had cars with valve taps and this rattle noise seems to improve somewhat in cold weather. and it also goes away all at once anywhere from 20sec to 1 minute after starting. (this person hates fords and thinks everyone should be driving Toyota tundras) :lol:

2. *it is your idler pulley. -this one could be it because my idler pulley (the one at the top of the engine) wiggles a bit at higher rpm. but upon removal it seems to be designed to do this and the noise dose not seem to emanate from there at all. (this person would probably die for ford) ;)

3. *Its your timing chain hitting your timing chain guide. -this one seems to be the winner but i wanted to verify if anyone else has had this problem and knows of a fix.

-Don :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I'd go with no. 3, you can do a search and find that a lot of us have had that problem.

D-

Eliminate #2 by removing the serp belt in the morning and starting the truck....

I almost bet it is number 3 thought...

Todd Z

I'd say 3 too, the chain tensioner guides are thin plastic (red in color) and wear quickly. There are 2 on each chain. It is a very poor design, Boss

Don,

I bought my 01 ST 4X4 from a Dick Smith Ford, in Raytown MO. with 89K on it, and it had the rattle you mention at start up, but it only lasts a few seconds. I also had what sounded like heavy pinging on acceleration, like bad spark knock. I tried premium gas, no help. Found out there is a TSB on this and since I bought mine from the dealer I got a 4,000 mile "good faith" warranty. I know I paid a bit more buying it from the dealer, but this made me glad I did. They did the TSB for me with a $100 deductable, and I have no noise now during driving, however, I do still have some rattle noise at start up for about 1 or 2 seconds. I asked about this after I got it back, and they said it was normal for the 4.0. (Hope the dealer didnt lie to me, as I have purchased 3 vehicles from them) Truck now has 100K on it, and its doing fine.

I copied this from the Explorer Forum where i found it back then, hope this helps:

TSB 04-15-4

08/09/04

RATTLE NOISE FROM PRIMARY CHAIN DRIVE AREA

2000-3000 RPM - 4.0L SOHC ENGINE

FORD:

1999-2002 Explorer

2001-2002 Explorer Sport Trac,

Explorer Sport, Ranger

MERCURY:

1999-2002 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 02-08-01 to update part numbers and add a labor operation for vehicles with auxiliary air conditioning.

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (single over-head cam) engine may exhibit a primary timing chain rattle noise. The noise is heard during hot and cold engine operation (but mainly heard on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 RPM. To verify concern, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000 and 3000 RPM and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the primary timing chain tensioner system.

ACTION

Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The Kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Primary Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fasteners, Primary Timing Chain, and Front Cover Gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit and follow the instruction sheet supplied with the Kit.

Use Kit 2U3Z-6D256-CA (balance shaft engines)

for:

^ 1999-2001 4X4 Explorer/Mountaineer

^ 2001-2002 4X4 Sport/Sport Trac

^ ALL 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA.

Use Kit P/N 2U3Z-6D256-DA (non balance shaft engines) for:

^ 1999-2001 4X2 Explorer/Mountaineer

^ 2001-2002 4X2 Sport/Sport Trac

^ 2002 MY Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA

^ ALL 2001-2002 Ranger